Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '08 with 34.2K miles. Sent it to the dealer with a few minor issues before the warranty expires. One was an oil leak I could not realy identify on my ramps. They gave me a loaner Legacy (thank you) and they have had the beca 2 days now "trying" to re seal the timing chain cover that is leaking. Some kind of sealant they use needs to have a curing agent added, then allowed to set up. They just told me they will need another day or 2 to be sure it's sealed OK.
Just curious if anyone else has seen this? I'm OK with it while I have a loaner, and its a warranty job. I'm a DIY mechanic and I am very hady doing this kind of job, but don't like the down time if I have to do it again at some point.
Cheers, john.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update.
Finally got the Tribeca back last Friday. They had to wait for control arm bushings. Oil leak fixed. Still has a squeek from the from end when driving over uneven road etc. I suspect the sway bar bushing that they changed were not lubricated with the wax that the manual shows. I will just do it myself. Dealer takes too long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
timing cover leak

i am a subaru tech i have resealed many timing covers on 3.0 and 3.6 the sealer we use is fuji bond and doesnt require any additives and doesnt need curing time i reseal them and start the engine as soon as its reassembled the best part is with the 3.6 they eliminated the rear timing cover and intigrated it into the block and heads one less place for a leak the job only pays a couple of hours under warranty i think 1.9 hours if my memory serves me correctly and can be done in that time should no more than one day turn around for sure

·
Registered
180 Posts
We have about 5 minor oil leaks on our '07. Fixed two under warranty and are now.20k outside of warranty and have a bunch that need to be addressed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oil leaks

typically leak between rear cover and cylinder head, valve cover gaskets, oil cooler oring, crank seal these are the most common oil leaks we fix if you have the rear timing cover resealed i recommend new timing chain tensioners and waterpump while in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '08 Tribeca with 53K. I started reporting an oil leak at 30k. The dealer told me 1qt per oil change was "normal" consumption. I continued to find the oil low and finally around 42K, they found oil spattered on the engine. Turns out the engine oil cooler had some bad seals which was replaced under warranty. This week I was told there is seepage near the timing chain and the dealer will recheck at my next oil change. Is this normal or should I push the dealer for a more proactive response?

·
Registered
118 Posts
subychris94 said:
typically leak between rear cover and cylinder head, valve cover gaskets, oil cooler oring, crank seal these are the most common oil leaks we fix if you have the rear timing cover resealed i recommend new timing chain tensioners and waterpump while in there.
How many billable hours would be charged to reseal timing cover and install all 4 new tensioners and water pump?
Does the coolant have to be drained/changed if the water pump isnt changed?

·
Registered
405 Posts
If still under power train warranty get it fixed now, later it will come out of your pocket.
Mine has an oil consumption of 1 quart per 5000 miles after switching to synthetic oil. Non synthetic was 1 quart every 2500 miles.
No oil on ground or noticed leaks.

Dealer should take care of seals cause under warranty and small leak today, big leak tomorrow.

sunflwr50 said:
I have an '08 Tribeca with 53K. I started reporting an oil leak at 30k. The dealer told me 1qt per oil change was "normal" consumption. I continued to find the oil low and finally around 42K, they found oil spattered on the engine. Turns out the engine oil cooler had some bad seals which was replaced under warranty. This week I was told there is seepage near the timing chain and the dealer will recheck at my next oil change. Is this normal or should I push the dealer for a more proactive response?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Finally going to have to address the timing cover leak on our car. We would lose less than a quart between changes, but the leak has increased and I fear will get even worse. Can't hurt to replace water pump and tensioners too, having 200k miles and all.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
There was a good thread over on subaruoutback.org on all the wear items to replace if you are in your timing chain cover. I leave it up to you to find :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Two points:

1) If you use synthetic oil, switching to conventional may, at the very least, slow or stop the leak. At worst, if you continue to use synthetic oil, resealing the timing cover may not slow/stop the leak. According to a display at the dealership, SOA recommends conventional oil for the Tribeca... as best as I can ascertain, I believe this has something to do with the size of the molecule or particle, evidently the synthetic oil is small enough to fit in places that conventional cannot, and therefore, it's more prone to leak.

I stopped using synthetic two oil changes ago... I had a timing cover leak that has almost ceased entirely from a high point of losing nearly a half-pint/month. Since you never change all of the oil, I suppose it's going to take a while for all of the synthetic to be changed out or leaked, so I still have spotting from time-to-time, but I'm pretty much down to no more than 1-2 drops a week.

2) If you don't take it from me, take it from CNY_Dave and Glennda5id (on the OB forum): If there is any hint of exhaust in the coolant (or you've ever over-heated, have any signs of overheating, or significant amounts of coolant disappear), hold off on the timing stuff until you're ready to go all the way to the HGs.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...8-3-0-h6-timing-chain-guide-discussion-4.html

3) Sorry... three notes. If you can't get your hands on some ThreeBond, most people suggest Permatex UtlraGray RTV, which is fine, but I like to remind people that 3M UltraPro High-Temp Black (mfg p/n 08672) is the recommended alternative per TSB 01-167-08R.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Two points:

1) If you use synthetic oil, switching to conventional may, at the very least, slow or stop the leak. At worst, if you continue to use synthetic oil, resealing the timing cover may not slow/stop the leak. According to a display at the dealership, SOA recommends conventional oil for the Tribeca... as best as I can ascertain, I believe this has something to do with the size of the molecule or particle, evidently the synthetic oil is small enough to fit in places that conventional cannot, and therefore, it's more prone to leak.

I stopped using synthetic two oil changes ago... I had a timing cover leak that has almost ceased entirely from a high point of losing nearly a half-pint/month. Since you never change all of the oil, I suppose it's going to take a while for all of the synthetic to be changed out or leaked, so I still have spotting from time-to-time, but I'm pretty much down to no more than 1-2 drops a week.

2) If you don't take it from me, take it from CNY_Dave and Glennda5id (on the OB forum): If there is any hint of exhaust in the coolant (or you've ever over-heated, have any signs of overheating, or significant amounts of coolant disappear), hold off on the timing stuff until you're ready to go all the way to the HGs.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...8-3-0-h6-timing-chain-guide-discussion-4.html

3) Sorry... three notes. If you can't get your hands on some ThreeBond, most people suggest Permatex UtlraGray RTV, which is fine, but I like to remind people that 3M UltraPro High-Temp Black (mfg p/n 08672) is the recommended alternative per TSB 01-167-08R.
Thanks for the link. I had just found it when you posted.

We have 209k miles on our '07 Tribeca. Has been relatively worry free and unscheduled maintenance free for us. Replaced radiator and hoses last year. Never overheated, but lots of leaks.

Have some perpetual oil leaks that are starting to get worse. Oil cooler and from timing cover onto the exhaust manifold. Have been running Rotella T4 synthetic 10w40 for last 100k miles. Very happy with lack of consumption, but leaks are starting to get worse.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My cover started leaking right after changing over to synthetic. I hate that smell when stopped at lights. I have been told it is easiest to pull the motor to reseal the covers. I have the 3.0.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you're only doing the covers, there's no need to pull the engine. The front bumper can be removed giving you clear access to the timing cover and components.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Oil cooler is easy to fix. I would start there. Timing cover, I would try lots of different options before diving in there unless you need an escape from the family for a few weekends :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Incidentally, I bought my Tribeca (used, 138k miles) on a Saturday. I changed the oil (full synthetic) two weeks later. No oil leaks at all during those first two weeks, but as soon as I changed it, the oil cooler was the first point that developed a leak. New o-ring was all it took. The timing covers continued to leak (as mentioned), even after I replaced the HGs. I was kicking myself the first couple of months following the HG job thinking I f'ed up the RTV bead on the covers, but after having gone back to conventional, I'm all but convinced that it's not the covers/RTV/o-rings, it's the oil.

The water pump on the H6 is pretty durable. So are the guides/tensioners provided the oil has been changed regularly... replacing those components on my B9, frankly, was a waste of money. I get the whole idea of "replace anything prone to failure while you're in there," but absent any cooling problems or symptoms of failing timing chain guides/tensioners (slapping, grinding, etc.), I strongly suggest an oil change with conventional 5W-30 before even considering pulling the covers... last thing you want to do is to open up the timing chamber, risk busting something else (in my case, it was the rear cover) or fixing something that isn't broken, only to find out you didn't fix the oil leak.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.