Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I just got a quick question, I've got a Thule Passage 910 strap rack. According to Thule its not recommended because, top straps should not be mounted directly to glass or plastic trim covering glass. I threw it on the car and it seems like its on snug but I'm not sure if once loaded with bikes and on the road it will break something. Has anyone used one of these? Is the spoiler above the glass made of plastic?

Here's a few shots of it installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the 4 bike version of that rack but only used it on my Impreza. I gave it to my parents and they use it on their Vibe. The way you have it mounted is similar to the Vibe and yes it is very important what the top edge is made out of.

There is a design difference between the back of my 2008 versus your 2006 and thus I cannot give an opinion on the sturdiness of the edge based on testing mine.

I went the hitch route for mounting a bike rack so that I did not have to worry about edge strength for the strap hooks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I'm cringing as I type seeing how much metal from the rack is touching the paint. If the system wasn't made for the Beca nor endorsed, I wouldn't do it. Get the hitch setup for a confident and secure bike rack. That way you won't be worrying the entire drive if the bikes are putting too much stress on the Beca.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree the hitch setup would be best, however I just don't have the money, I've got to get a hitch and also the carrier, we are talking a few hundred bucks.

The clips have a rubberish paint on them so I'm not worried about it scratching the paint. The funny thing is, I bought this rack for my '08 Rabbit over the winter and never used it. We just traded the Rabbit in for the B9.

Anyone interested in a bike rack? It will fit many things just not the cars I have :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a similar bike rack (Saris) and it's fine. Just don't crank it down like you're strapping down a motorcycle. Plus my bike is under 20 lbs so no biggie.

Eventually I'll get a hitch... but for now the Saris rack suits me fine and hasn't done any damage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those straps laying over the spoiler are going to leave a mark, just the motion of the bikes over time will cause them to slowly scratch the paint. You can put something underneath them to help minimize scratches, but I had a similar setup once and nylon straps are not finish friendly.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Sigmead said:
Those straps laying over the spoiler are going to leave a mark, just the motion of the bikes over time will cause them to slowly scratch the paint. You can put something underneath them to help minimize scratches, but I had a similar setup once and nylon straps are not finish friendly.
Also, minor debris will get underneath those tabs. The car and rack will flex a little and the debris will become sandpaper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts