Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the local dealer got in a used 2007 Spec B. I was really thinking about it, but I don't drive stick (willing to learn), but there are factors that are keeping me from it. I'm told it's a very bad idea to learn to drive stick on a new car and my gf isn't very interested in learning.

Suffice to say, picking up an exec demo automatic LGT is looking like the direction I'm going. Who's got one and any suggestions or pro/ cons?

:edit:
I found an 85 Honda Prelude stick to learn on. Mechanically sound, but a little rough on the interior I figure it would be a good starting point to learn stick vs. a Spec B. I hope the seller hasn't sold it yet. I think I can get it for $500.

·
449 Posts
I really like the LGT and it I may very well replace my Forester with one someday. Super nice car. Driving a stick isn't all that tough but I suppose learning depends on where you live. If you live where there is a lot of traffic and hills, it could be difficult because you will be more worried about people beeping and rushing you along. I learned about using a clutch on a motorcycle when I was about 10 years old so I at least had the principle down by the time I got in a car. If you can learn on a beater car that's not a bad idea. You don't want to over rev or slip a new clutch /motor if you can avoid it. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Learning on a new car isn't that bad. Just make sure you have someone teaching you as opposed to you figuring it out on yourself. You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
njjuliano said:
Learning on a new car isn't that bad. Just make sure you have someone teaching you as opposed to you figuring it out on yourself. You should be fine.
Thanks for the confidence. We're going tonight to test drive it. My buddy (who would be my teacher) will be driving it and he'd let me know if it would be a hard car to learn on.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I always found that driving an AWD stick feels a lot different than a two wheel drive stick. I drove stick for just over twenty years and the B9 is my first everyday automatic. The feel of the clutch is, to me, the most important thing to driving a manual. I tell newbies to practice on getting the car to move without pressing on the gas. It helps you with the clutch pedal position, starting clutch engagement and the full clutch engagement. That should help prevent over revving when engaging the clutch. Before you know it, it will become second nature and you won't even have to think about shifting. It will just happen via subconscience memory.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey, one good thing about having a 5 speed subaru is that it has the hill holder technology. The worst part about learning standard is starting from a stop when you are going up a hill... and the guy behind you is right up against your bumper. You won't have to learn the classic parking brake release as you engage the clutch and give it the gas.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Went for the Spec B test drive today. Well, my buddy drove and I just sat in for the ride. It's pretty damn quick and he said it was easy to drive. It cornered well and handled great.

I'm going to test drive an exec LGT at another dealer on the weekend. It's a 2008 with less miles and costs less. I'm not sure I want to pay more just for the suspension on a Spec B when the engines are identical.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Went for the Spec B test drive today. Well, my buddy drove and I just sat in for the ride. It's pretty damn quick and he said it was easy to drive. It cornered well and handled great.

I'm going to test drive an exec LGT at another dealer on the weekend. It's a 2008 with less miles and costs less. I'm not sure I want to pay more just for the suspension on a Spec B when the engines are identical.
Tough choices. I test drove all the manuals, and I couldnt figure out which one either, that's why I have the Tribeca. They are peppy for sure. Have fun deciding and let us know which you end up with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts