Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
not sure if it is 20% but my butt Dyno can feel the difference :D:D

If it were a Cayenne, would you be putting regular gas in it?

If it were a Cayenne, would you be putting regular gas in it?
Is regular gas on the approved list? Then yes, why not, if not towing, or racing it.

From Tibeca's owner's manual: "Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI or higher may be used. "

The human nature is that a change triggers feelings about something working differently even if the change has no effect. I am not saying that there is no effect of diff. octane numbers. But I would expect these to be noticeable when towing and at high loads which none of these are the daily driving 99% of Tribeca owners do.

Claims like " tremendous difference " as made here without any other information make me believe that it is an illusion. Was he towing a boat and the engine was knocking which was fixed by use of higher octane gas? No....

The only illusion here is someone who believes the 3.0 runs the exact same regardless of the fuel's octane.

My apologies for omitting indisputable evidence of my claim that the B9 runs better on premium.

The only illusion here is someone who believes the 3.0 runs the exact same regardless of the fuel's octane.
I never said that it runs the same. I questioned you and others wherever you can feel the difference. There is no way you can feel a small difference. So it must make a huge difference which again I questioned.

No one is talking here about race truck numbers, towing, or engine knocking. You just feel tremendous power and get better fuel efficiency.

Then I must be the only one lucky here with the engine that senses regular gas properly, adjusts to it, does not knock, delivers smooth power, and when I flooring it it goes swiftly to over 6,000 RPMs.

You get tremendously more power and better fuel economy and I envy you.

It is fairly well accepted on the outback forum that the H3.0 on regular is a dog, much better on premium. I think many never notice, but it seems the type of people that spend time on these forums do for sure.

Maybe "tremendous" was the wrong adjective, but there is a distinct difference in accelerating power & response between 87 and 93 octane; however as I said, I don't experience any discernible change in fuel economy, so I'm probably not the guy you should envy :)

I wonder if knock management is as aggressive with the N/A Subarus as it is with the force-fed variants.

That definitely could reflect why there's such noticeable performance differences with "Regular" versus "Premium" on the 3.0L models.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.