Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
Tribeca is a nice name for a fancy area in New York. I think that name fit the Subaru when Subaru was attempting to move upmarket. Now maybe Subaru should pick a name complement it's current success in the market. I suggest Subaru use the name:

Stella

Stella looks like the word stellar, like Impreza is similar to impressive. Also Stella in Italian means star, a nice reference to Subaru. Yes I know it is the name of a tiny Subaru hatchback sold in Japan, but its not the first time an automaker used the same name for two difference vehicles in different markets.

In case anyone is curious, here is the Japanese Subaru Stella.

http://www.subaru.jp/stella/stella/

Well I received this from Subaru today in an email Titled "Subaru Insider".

New 3-Row Crossover
It’s official – a new 3-row crossover model will be produced at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (SIA) plant in Lafayette, Indiana, beginning in 2018.
The all-new crossover will be a larger vehicle than the Tribeca, with full third-row capability. Insider will keep you posted as news is released.

This confirms rumors, I suppose.

I saw a news article posted on this that had numerous errors (don't remember the source) and generally showed a lack of understanding about Subaru models, so I'm not sure how reliable any info we're getting right now is.

That being said, Subaru seems to have figured out that consumers want real back seats (the 5th gen Legacy, 4th gen Forester, and 4th gen Imprezas are all pretty reasonable to excellent for rear comfort) in our vehicles as Subaru's family appeal grows, so I have faith they'll get it right.

According to SubieDan's quote here, SIA will start producing them beginning in 2018, so that could be as either a 2018 or 2019 model.

That would explain the lack of info - they probably don't even have any test mules yet. They're probably still waiting on engine & CVT development for something that will handle a bigger Tribeca.

Well I received this from Subaru today in an email Titled "Subaru Insider".

New 3-Row Crossover
It’s official – a new 3-row crossover model will be produced at the Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. (SIA) plant in Lafayette, Indiana, beginning in 2018.
The all-new crossover will be a larger vehicle than the Tribeca, with full third-row capability. Insider will keep you posted as news is released.

This confirms rumors, I suppose.

c'mon 3.0DIT! 350HP would be acceptable.

I also have a feeling that Subaru's capacity issues at SIA aren't helping with the ETA on this model.

Very true. They can't really build anything else until the Camry line is gone. I too would be totally fine with a 350hp 3.0 DIT. That would be pretty awesome.
Hi SubieDriver, I am sorry to hear about your Tribeca.

I found some news about the next replacement. Sadly it will not be here until 2018 at the earliest. SIA will build the new Impreza(2016) there, then the next 7-seater(2018) and the new Legacy/Outback in 20??.

Also it turns out, the long pole in the tent is actually the painting facility, I guess you can not sell an unpainted car.

"The paint shop is part of the expansion of SIA’s facilities that began in 2012 with the goal of increasing production capacity at Subaru’s only plant outside of Japan. SIA says the new paint shop will allow them to increase vehicle production by nearly 100,000 units annually. This will help reduce the wait time for all of Subaru’s vehicles that are in high demand. The expansion also includes additions to SIA’s engine and stamping facilities. There’s also a new global architecture coming."

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/how-...-subaru-s-new-3-row-crossover-global-platform

I can't wait for 2018, so I'll be going Subaru-less for the first time in 15 years. My kids just keep growing, so they don't fit in the back of the current Tribeca as well as they used to. They all complain when they have to sit in the 3rd row.

I might actually have to buy a minivan. Maybe only until something better comes along.
The new Kia Sedona is looking pretty sharp.

I'll be trying to get the wife to hand on for 2 more years, but it's going to be a hard sell with 120k on the tribeca, going to 160-180k in 2 years.

She has her eye on a Pilot as the next best replacement cost and comfort wise. I'd start there if I were you SubieDriver. Let me know where you land!

The Sedona looks nice, but has been largely panned by reviewers. I mean, check it out if you're interested, but most would point you in the way of the Sorento if you're going for the Kia look.

If you want a minivan, the Odyssey has always been the somewhat fun to drive choice whereas the Sienna is the comfortable, smooth vehicle.

Actually, several of the reviews I read placed the Sedona ahead of the Odyssey and Sienna. The Sienna didn't do so well on the partial-offset crash test. Only the Odyssey and Sedona did.

The Sorento is nice, but not as spacious as the Sedona. I even looked at the Hyundai Santa Fe, which has more length than the Sorento. It still felt small compared to the Sedona, though larger than the Tribeca.

I'm still researching for now, but will probably have to make a purchase in the next few weeks.

Edit: I have looked at some Tribeca competitors, like the Pilot and Highlander, but I think I'm leaning toward minivan for the extra space. The reason I like the Sedona is because it doesn't look as much like a minivan as all the others do. It has a bit of SUV flair to it.

I guess I'm reading the wrong reviews! Edmunds and CR picked the Odyssey/Sienna as the two best, but looking around, Car & Driver does like the Sedona a lot. Unless you really need AWD, minivans are the way to go anyways - more space, generally better MPG, and a more car-like driving experience.

Autotrader, Sedona vs Odyssey: http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/2016-kia-sedona-vs-2016-honda-odyssey-which-is-better-248688

There's a lot to like about both the Honda Odyssey and the Kia Sedona -- and we strongly suspect you'll appreciate either one. And while we do our best to pick a winner in our comparisons, this one is simply too close to call. The vans offer similar technology, similar powertrains and similar safety equipment. However, there is one area where the Kia beats the Honda -- interior accommodations. The Sedona's second-row captain's chairs recline and move in ways most minivan seats can't, plus Kia offers more interesting color choices and more modern-looking textures. It's hardly a deal-breaker, but if this kind of thing is important to you, go with the Kia.

Motor Trend: Sedona finished first, ahead of Odyssey, Sienna, Quest, and Town & Country:
http://www.motortrend.com/news/the-big-test-2014-2015-minivans/

5TH PLACE: CHRYSLER TOWN & COUNTRY

The long-in-the-tooth Chrysler is tops in sales but last in our Big Test. Still, the T&C is a great value and shows promise for the future.

4TH PLACE: NISSAN QUEST

A comfortable cabin isn’t enough to overcome the Quest’s lackluster crash-test scores or driving dynamics.

3RD PLACE: TOYOTA SIENNA

It doesn’t blow our socks off subjectively, but it’s tough to argue with the Sienna’s stellar efficiency and performance.

2ND PLACE: HONDA ODYSSEY

A long-time MT favorite is still a segment standout and excellent hauler, but it’s not our Big Test winner.

1ST PLACE: KIA SEDONA

A van with this much style, substance, and safety might be all it takes to make the minivan cool again.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.