Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts
I had the same feeling, but he looked it up on his computer before telling me. He said they had received nothing about what it will look like. The only things he was certain about was the date it would go on sale and the CVT:eek:

i may buy april 2018 but in six month the only thing that could happen is RHD Exiga or one if the Sambar variations which will not sell here.

Right. That a dealer saw something on screen does not mean much. What I do believe is that he knows practically nothing--they all say Subaru tells them nothing, which is believable.

If production is supposed to start in 2018 we may not know much till Fall 2017....

I don't think production can start until the Indiana factory is completed. Currently SIA does not have enough capacity for another vehicle right now.

But the LA Auto show is next week, so maybe Subaru will surprise us with a concept there. And steal some of Mazda's thunder as they debut their new CX-9.

Right. That a dealer saw something on screen does not mean much. What I do believe is that he knows practically nothing--they all say Subaru tells them nothing, which is believable.

If production is supposed to start in 2018 we may not know much till Fall 2017....
Huh? A lot of assumptions about the dealer. Don't know where 2017 and 2018 came from. He told me the date after telling me the car was coming in April. He looked it up to confirm the exact date.

Again, not saying this is truly going to happen, but he was confirming what they had been told by what he was looking up. I don't think it was internet gossip, but email. It was a definitive date.

I'm going to let this all go now. I am not interested in a car with a CVT and have been shopping for a Certified Previously Owned Tribeca with low mileage. It's what I was discussing with him at the time. It's what I prefer. Finding one is difficult.

The newer Tribeca was a VERY poor seller.
This is a quote from Wikipedia, but I've seen similar information all over the internet:

"It was announced in January 2012 that the Subaru Tribeca would stop being sold in the US and Australia, and that its production cycle would come to a stop in December 2012.[7] On October 18, 2013, Autoblog, Jalopnik, and Cars.com all confirmed that Subaru has informed its dealers that production on the Tribeca will end in January 2014 due to slow sales, as Subaru has sold just 78,000 Tribecas since 2005, making it one of the worst-selling vehicles in the US in 2011 and 2012; in 2013, only 1,247 Tribecas were sold in the first nine months,[8][9] and placed seventh among the worst selling vehicles in the United States for the 2013 model year with only 1,598 units sold, down 23% from 2012. The move comes as Subaru is looking at replacing the vehicle with an upscale 7-seat crossover SUV, possibly based on the Subaru Exiga, that would compete against the Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder, which had been in the planning stages in an effort to attract new buyers without alienating current ones, since the Tribeca (in its present design) does not fit the description Subaru needs in the crossover SUV segment.[11] On April 16, 2015, Subaru confirmed that the next generation Exiga Crossover 7 that will go on sale in Japan will NOT BE THE REPLACEMENT for the Tribeca in North America because of its size, as Subaru is planning a larger size successor that could be built in the United States."

I believe less than 2,000 sold in 2014 as well AND IT'S A SHAME.

All of that means the replacement must have been being planned as early as January 2012, but definitely was in planning by October 2013.

There was no confirmation that the car is to be built here; only that it could be, and it that it could be does not mean exclusively.

By the way, this is an interesting Wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Tribeca

That's my last comment about this subject, but I will continue to monitor what others have to say.:D

It usually helps to rely on authoritative sources rather than notoriously unreliable ones...

...it also helps reading the thread before posting. There are some links that might be of interest :)

As for the CVT, I think that is a given. I still trust my 5 EAT more but that is only because I am one of the few who take a Subaru on 4x4 trails. The so-called high torque CVT on the WRX, FXT, and the new H6 OB is stellar.

If it's stellar it is the lone star of the class.
Yeah, I was not a fan of the 2010 OB CVT I had for half a day back then. I have no clue about the revised "regular" CVT but most on the OB forum really like the 2013 version. Then came the 2015 one, which mimics AT in some respects to prevent the lack of shifting feel and better insulation to greatly reduce the whining.

Be that as it may, the "high-torque" CVT in the WRX and the FXT is amazing. The 2015+ H6 OB has the same, but I have not driven that model.

I am not surprised: the 5EAT was FAR better than the 4EAT (or the AT of dozens of non-luxury rental cars I have had to drive over the last decade).

Subaru has found ways to really differentiate its top of the line models, even if a surprising number of OB forum members find the H6 and its transmission superfluous.

I have the revised CVT in my 2012 Impreza (Phase II as they call it) and it's not bad. It could use some lower gearing to go with the 2.0 for higher revs at launch, but with an H6 that would hardly be a problem. The whining isn't bad - I only really notice it when it's cold and always figured it was the timing chain, honestly. I would say the 5EAT whine is worse.

Either it'll be H6 or turbo, so it'd get the high torque CVT, which is good - the FXT owners say it's pretty great.

Honestly, most of the CVT hate I've seen is from people who want manual transmissions or are trying to compare them to a stick, which you just can't do. I've always felt the CVT was a huge improvement over the older 4EAT and is one of the best autos I've driven - the paddle shifters actually work well, too!

As for the general hate CVTs get in the automotive world, Subaru seems to make some of the best. Many of the "worse" ones are belt driven, rather than chain driven, which likely affects feel & responsiveness. It could also be that Subaru has always made more responsive transmissions than Nissan or Honda (my experience is that Honda trannys are slow, jerky, and horrible) and they have higher standards with their transmissions.

Those who work on CVT's say they're poo. Whether that includes Subies, I don't know. The mechanics say the ones they know about don't last long and it isn't unusual to need to repair/replace them early in the warranty period...the 1st time. Again, doubt the guys I know have worked on Subie CVT's. They mentioned Ford and Nissan in particular.
Professional reviewers have complained about torque and acceleration. If the TriBeCa replacement outweighs the new Outback, teamed with the 4....Well....But the mileage will be better, won't it?!

Those who work on CVT's say they're poo. Whether that includes Subies, I don't know. The mechanics say the ones they know about don't last long and it isn't unusual to need to repair/replace them early in the warranty period...the 1st time. Again, doubt the guys I know have worked on Subie CVT's. They mentioned Ford and Nissan in particular.
Professional reviewers have complained about torque and acceleration. If the TriBeCa replacement outweighs the new Outback, teamed with the 4....Well....But the mileage will be better, won't it?!
In general, I agree. Subaru's 4EAT and 5EAT have had superb reliability and at the end of the day nothing matters more to me than having a solid, reliable vehicle that will not set me back thousands upon thousands for unexpected repairs. I also agree that CVTs have not yet proven themselves. The cost of replacing a unit out of warranty would be astronomical. I think it is 8,000 for the regular OB CVT. In addition, there has been a lot of confusion about servicing the CVT: when and, indeed, if! There have been a couple of horror stories on the OB forum about the consequences of CVT service done by fast lube places (but that's hardly news).

At the same time, there are very, very few mentions of issues on the OB forum. With the CVT on so many 2010+ OB, there is not doubt they are holding up great so far and they do get excellent marks from CR. Now, how will they do well after 100k? That's the next hurdle, as more and more of these cars age.

But I am pretty sure that by 2018 we will know better how the CVT does beyond 100k. We can also hope that by then the Subaru CVTs will be plenty mature enough.

FWIW, My mother's 2010 Legacy has over 100,000 miles now and the CVT is working excellently.

I saw a 2011 Outback with 318,000 miles on it the other day for sale. They said it was original everything, but of course that's worse than anecdotal evidence since they could have been lying.

You're right about the maintenance. It sounds like Subaru has reneged on their "maintenance free" claim on newer models - what I would like is some clarity on what we should do on older models - I'm at 74,000 on my Impreza and I'm thinking about taking it to the dealership for a fluid change (and hoping they're not difficult about it).

Well looks like the name Tribeca one step closer to retirement. I found this on NASIOC today.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2760658

Fuji Heavy Industries filed trademarks for the following names:
Ascent
Columbia
Meridian
Sojourn

and Subaru of America filed for this set:
Ascent 7
Ascent Seven
Cypress
Sojourn
Venterra

I guess they really like Ascent. Personally if the Tribeca name will not used, I am leaning toward Venterra. A made up name like Impreza. That or Meridian.

Wow, scratch that about made-up names...Venterra, is a realty company!

I was never a big fan of the TriBeca nameplate.

I really like Venterra. Anything with terra will do, I guess. And the x-terra is no more!

Meridian is okay. Ascent will do. But Cypress and Sojourn, really?

Looks like Ascent is a safe bet. Does not sound nearly as fitting as Outback or Forester. But I do not have high hopes about its 4x4 credentials anyway.

That said, while the OB should handle 4x4 duty, perhaps with further, more substantial mods, I am not paying 40k or so for anything with less than stock Outback capability. At the very least, I want to know that the vehicle can handle unpaved roads in bad condition and easy trails (the Tribeca can do the former, but only the milder among the latter). A promising otherwise vehicle with Tribeca-style front overhang and low rocker panel will generate interesting discussions at home....

21 - 40 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.