Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had an oil change about a week ago. Paid about $40 for the change, regular oil. I happened to pass by my local autozone after the oil change and saw that 5 quarts of 5w-30 synthetic oil costs about $30 and 5w-30 regular oil is about $16, total rip off. After that I figured out how to do oil changes on my own. Question is, Can I just go ahead and buy and use the synthetic oil? Will that mess up my engine?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nope, you can switch to synthetic at any time.

Quaker State synthetic from wally world seems to be the best consistent buy. Sometimes you can get cheaper with sales.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Amsoil makes in my opinion, the best synthetic oil, period. Mobil 1 is a close number 2. Switching to a quality synthetic is one of the best choices you will ever make to protect your investment.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Mobil1 Extended Performance seems to be the favorite on bobistheoilguy's forums. I'd go with a 5w-40 or 0w-40 variant. In my experience the EZ & EJ Subaru motors like it thicker when the engine is at temp.

Keep in mind you need more than 5 quarts for the 'Beca.

·
Registered
63 Posts
oil change

I was wondering, how much oil do I need exactly? I am doing my first oil change on our new 06 B9. I ordered a Amsoil ea absolute efficiency nano fiber oil filter. I also ordered a spin on Amsoil ea filter for the tranny too. I still have to find out where the darn thing is on the tribeca

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Why do you need to change the transmission filter? Is it damaged or leaking? Otherwise a change is not recommended.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The ATF filter is a "lifetime" part, which I assume typically means it will last for the "life" of the warranty, but in this case, genuinely seems to be a lifetime part for the Tribeca. It's not a bad idea to replace it if you're taking off the front bumper fascia for another reason/repair, because that's how you replace it... by taking of the fascia.

However, I would not suggest changing the ATF filter as a "one-off" job unless you've had other transmission/ATF issues. The off-chance that you break a clip or crack the fascia (i.e. the cost to replace those items) while trying to remove the fascia, in my opinion, is not worth the minimal, if any, benefit you'll get from changing the ATF filter. Changing the fluid (either the conventional 4 qts. at a time through the drain plug or the tdelker "make sure you know which one is the suction" method works fine) at regular intervals is typically sufficient.

Make sure you have a quality oil filter wrench on hand if you do go after the ATF filter... those things can be torqued on pretty tight.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
63 Posts
filter

Thanks for the reply. I already ordered the filter, and my oil filter, through Amsoil because I think the ea filters are one of the best available. I just am too stubborn. I work in a shop and we tear apart cars all the time for custom jobs, so I am not worried about getting to the filter. Second, I just can't wrap my head around a lifetime filter. Things get dirty and if I can change it then I will. I am particular that way, I always like things the best they can be. But, for the average person who doesn't do the job I do, I can understand leaving the filter alone. I am going to do 3 or so drain and fills with Amsoil synthetic ATF. Next, Amsoil in the diffs and everything will be up to snuff. I am probably going to install a Amsoil bypass filter too, then I will have close to 100% filtering efficiency.

·
Registered
701 Posts
In that case, while you have the bumper off and are changing out the ATF, consider adding the OEM auxiliary ATF cooler. It's a bit more at $160 (online), but well worth it, especially if you might do some towing at some point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts