Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Tribeca Touring that started slightly overheating back in July; it would go a bar or two over normal and then come back down. I noticed the fans were running pretty consistently, even on cooler days. We've had it five years and 60k miles without changing the coolant, so I took it to a dealer to have that flushed along with the tranny. The SA told me the tech couldn't get it to "burp" and there were bubbles in the overflow, which means bad head gaskets. He handed me an estimate of $4,200.

My brother used to be a Subaru Master Tech (hence why I have this and an '06 Legacy GT still), and he was confused by their diagnosis. I started digging around on here, the Outback forum and the Legacy forum to see if anyone had any ideas. We replaced the thermostat and cap, to no avail. Then I read on here to check the heat (which we obviously haven't had on since April), and sure enough, the passenger side had no heat whatsoever. With about 45 minutes and $5 in hoses and clamps, we blew out the heater core (and there was some nasty stuff that came out). Now the Tribeca runs like a champ again, and there's heat on both sides!

So thank you to all who post on here, ask questions and search for advice! You just saved me $4,150 (that wouldn't have fixed the issue) and gave the 'Beca a new lease on life.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts