Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Purchased 06 Tribeca with 174k. We purchased knowing it was having shifting issues. Previous owner told us it needed 2 wheel sensors; it was flashing the "Sport", ABS and anti slip lights. Long story short we contacted dealer and found it had been in for some work of which of previous didn't tell us. I talked too the Subaru dealer, they told me they had replaced one wheel sensor that had been literally sheered off .They removed trans pan and saw metal shavings....they said it needed a transmission. I asked if it was chunks they said no, just shavings....mind you, the pan had never been off car its whole life, shavings are normal, hence the magnet in pan. After blogging the subject on numerous sites I concluded it needed the transmission harness PN #24030AA181. I replaced harness and also rear transmission mount (was completely broken). Got her together and she drove awesome, shifted beautifully smooth through all gears including Sport mode. Since.... I have been getting a random flashes again and its the p1706 code. Only difference from before, when it comes on now, it's a high RPM shift,... to almost no shift, from 1 to 2 gear.....everything else is perfect, no hard shifts or clunks....so I think the tranny is fine, has to be electrical. I do have the FreeSSM software (hence how I found it was TCM code p1706). NOW, my question.....is it possible that it needs a TCU re-learn? I know I have cleared the codes and did clear via "clear memory 2". Also heard it could be rear wheel bearings?
What exactly are the steps for relearn??

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
The tribeca shares the same 5EAT as the subaru outback XT, H6 and Legacy gt. Here's one thread with the same code. Speed sensor in the transmission, not the whole transmission. But 'may need' is different than diagnosed. It's still true, you many need a new transmission, but probably just the sensor:

'06 OBXT auto - flashing sport light & clunky...

Doubt it is relearn, you can just hit the clear memory 1 and clear memory 2 in FreeSSM. I have heard some folks have had issues with clear memory 1, so you might want to do your own research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tribeca shares the same 5EAT as the subaru outback XT, H6 and Legacy gt. Here's one thread with the same code. Speed sensor in the transmission, not the whole transmission. But 'may need' is different than diagnosed. It's still true, you many need a new transmission, but probably just the sensor:

'06 OBXT auto - flashing sport light & clunky...

Doubt it is relearn, you can just hit the clear memory 1 and clear memory 2 in FreeSSM. I have heard some folks have had issues with clear memory 1, so you might want to do your own research.
Thanks for your reply. Yeah I've read many blogs on this subject. If you're talking about the speed sensor that's "inside" the rear transmission housing at the output shaft ....I guess that's the front wheel speed sensor, ...of course I had to download the service manual to find out that that sensor is actually inside the transmission rear housing... I actually have that part, I just did not install it when I had the transmission apart because everything led to be in the harness... and of course as you know the speed sensor for the rear wheels is part of that harness at the very back of the transmission near the "outside" top by the output shaft. So as stated, I replaced the harness. It did help, shifting has improved and not jumping around gears, but still getting the random code We noticed that it seems to happen more when it has sat and initial take off or when you're turning a corner.... you can tell because it doesn't want to shift into 2nd gear. I also know that one of the ABS wheel sensors had been damaged previously and was replaced. I have ordered another wheel sensor for the other side maybe it's not picking up the correct signal. Another option I'm looking at is replacing both rear wheel bearings. As far as the transmission, it shifts smooth with no slips or clunks. I'm also thinking about picking up another TCM just in case.
Again I appreciate your input. You can think of anything else let me know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yes and something I did forget to mention, is that it does clear when you turn the ignition off and back on again ....that tells me it's something electrical. And yes I have checked my ground wire to the transmission off the harness I've pulled a couple of plugs and spray them with electrical cleaner I have even pulled the terminals off the battery and cleaned up everything there as well..... I have not checked the plugs at the TCM yet. I tell you what I sure hate electrical problems! It's not my strong suit LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE Wish it were better news.. Changed one of the wheel ABS sensors at the hub...Didn't make a difference. Still having random high shift from 1st to 2nd....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts