Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

synthetic oil

8K views 34 replies 20 participants last post by  highwayman 
#1 ·
anyone switch from dino to synthetic oil? i do it on my STI, but was wondering about the B9.

#2 ·
I'll do it but I wait till the motor has 10K miles. Everyone seems to have a different opinion on waiting. All I can say is I've done it on my F-XT (and many other scoobies) and my oil analysis says the motor is healthy, so I can say for sure it won't hurt :)

#4 ·
ed@konceptracing.com said:
to save some $$, i'll probably just stick w/ the regular dino oil, its not like the B9 is a performance car or anything, and with gas prices as high as they are, have to try and save $$ somewhere.
Its sad when oil prices are through the roof and one cannot get Synthetic oil because real oil is STILL cheaper... :tdown:

#6 ·
I doubt it, why did you go so high in viscosity though? I changed mine again yesterday (18K miles) and I used 5W-30, the only negative I can see is your mpg's may suffer slightly. I'm getting better at changing the oil on this thing, no mess at all this time. I do have the oil drain valve though :) Changed the air filter too, it was a lot dirtier than I thought it would be. Doing a Scoobymods page soon for anyone interested.

#10 ·
Long-time Mobil 1 user here. Switched to M1 5W-30 at 5k miles, as I've done with all the vehicles I've owned over almost the last 15 years. No engine problems whatsover. Just curious - why did you ignore what the owner's manual (and Subaru's engineers) recommend (5W-30)? Nothing to worry about - you won't do any harm to the engine, but you mileage may suffer.

#11 ·
We switched to synthetic involuntarily at about 6k. The gf was going away for a week so she had her mom drop it off at a local dealership that we've never used. When she got back she saw the bill and nearly fell over. Apparently they decided it was time to switch. :tdown: I was planning on holding off until 10k.

Oh yeah, they also decided not to fill it up all the way, so I had to go out and buy another 2 quarts to finish what they started. :tdown::tdown:

$68 oil change that was done wrong. :tdown::tdown::tdown:

BTW the brand they use is Castrol Syntec 5w-30, I'll be swapping out to Amzoil 5w-30 next oil change.

#15 ·
You will get all sorts of opinions on when to switch. I feel the car needs to use dino oil at first to allow for proper breaking in and mating of the parts. Personally I think synth is too slippery to let this happen effectively. I can say for sure that waiting to switch will not hurt anything as I've had oil analysis tests done on my scooby motors and it shows they are healthy after doing this.

I have some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3014

Down the page and my oil analysis here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4718

#18 ·
Mobile 1 everywhere: engine, front diff, tranny, rear diff, OEM coolant, after 4K or 5K - do not remember exactly. I am a big fan of Royal Purple but, here in Boston it is tuff to find it so I've decided to go Mobile 1. My Isuzu VehiCROSS was all Royal Purple and you will not believe me what a difference (milage, noise quality of lube) it makes untill you try it yourself. I got into unfortunate accident in VX tearing apart tranny, rear diff - Mechanic who tried to save VX for me asked me what I've used as he never seen so little wear.....

#21 ·
I don't disagree that synthetic oils are actually better. But this isn't a performance car and as long as you keep up with the fluid changes, regular oil will do you just fine. I've got 161k on my 03 Accord, regular changes every 4-5k (7.5k is the recommended) and the oil in it right now still looks as good as day 1.

#22 ·
Oil quality!

I just spent 2 and 1/2 months researching oil grades, specifications and quality for the shop I manage. First off let me dispell a few misconceptions that many people have about oils and the dino/synthetic controversy.

All oils are made from the same crude oil that comes from the ground, regular, semi-synthetic and full synthetic. The only difference is the refining process. Technically any oil that has a GF-4 rating qualifies to be classified as Semi-Synthetic.

Subaru does not have any specific requirement other than GF-4 or SM service ratings. These are the lowest ratings any oil can have and still meet SOME vehicle requirements.

Many manufacturers have additional specifications that need to be met including Ford, Honda, GM, VW, MB, BMW and others.

I challenge any of you to go into WalMart, Target or any other chain store and look at all the bottles of oil and see how many specifications they have. Most of the bottles they have only have the two lowest specifications on them.

And this includes many of the Major or Trusted Brands. You really need to read the bottle carefully. There are some synthetics that don't meet the needs of some of these other specifications so why would you UPGRADE to them?

I can post more specific information if requested and I will be attending a full day training class at the end of July about fluid specifications.:cool:

#23 ·
I completely agree with swooton. My Dad's a mechanical/environmental engineer and is up on all the oil specs in regards to engines and such. We put regular oil in all our cars except my Dad's Audi Allroad (twin-turbo V6) which specifically calls for synthetic oil.

#25 ·
Just to update your request on Mobil one, see this link http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp#SpecsApprovalsTitle for specific specifications. As you can see it does meet most of the current Domestic requirements but does not meet any Europeon specifications.
If you only want to meet theses specifications Castrol GTX which is not a synthetic meets all of these same specifications at 1/2 the price.
One thing to keep in mind, read the label or check the website for specifications.

#26 ·
For several years (as soon as Mobile 1 Extended became available 1 year/15k service) I am using on my commercial minivan. I am driving only 4-5 K a year. So next oil change it is the same - Mobile 1 Extended and Mobile 1 Extended filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.