Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My usual setup is to buy two sets of rims, one with summer tires and one with winter tires and swap as required by the season.

How does this work with a TPMS system? What is required?

·
Registered
552 Posts
You can either swap the TPMS among tire sets which is an obvious pain, or you can get another set of sensors. I don't believe the second option is cheap though, I believe they run about $50 each!:eek:

Also, I'm not sure if you have to go to the dealer to program them when swapping sensors. I think it describes it in the owner's manual what you have to do to replace a sensor. If dealer programming is required, it'd probably be cheaper in the long run to switch the sensors back and forth as you can either DIY or have a local garage/tire shop do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am using the same solution, set of summer tires on one rims and winters on the other. Unfortunately you need to go to a stealership and reprogram sensors each time you swap tires. it will cost you $40-50 to do. I checked all the possible solutions, there is no way around it (i will hold my comments on this issue, let's say another great invention from subaru).

Marek

·
Registered
96 Posts
marek said:
I am using the same solution, set of summer tires on one rims and winters on the other. Unfortunately you need to go to a stealership and reprogram sensors each time you swap tires. it will cost you $40-50 to do. I checked all the possible solutions, there is no way around it (i will hold my comments on this issue, let's say another great invention from subaru).

Marek
Yup, the computer has to be reprogrammed for the TPMS sensors. Even if you use the Subaru sensors ($50+ each from 1st Subaru parts).

After the snow disappears for the last time this spring and the summer wheels/tires go on, the computer will be reprogrammed for the last time. Next fall I'm going to put a piece of black tape over the TPMS icon when the winter tires go on. It cost about $50 for them to reprogram the computer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marek said:

Marek
One of the local tire shops ('Alton's Tires') claims to have the equipment to reprogram/re-pair the tire sensors on site. Do they really? Or do they just think they do because they have one for all GM's or something but not Subarus? Is it conceivable for a tire shop to have Subaru specific equipment?

·
Registered
96 Posts
akm3 said:
One of the local tire shops ('Alton's Tires') claims to have the equipment to reprogram/re-pair the tire sensors on site. Do they really? Or do they just think they do because they have one for all GM's or something but not Subarus? Is it conceivable for a tire shop to have Subaru specific equipment?
At my dealership, they said the car computer has to be re-programmed to "accept" the new sensors. I have doubts that non-Subaru place has Subaru specific computer stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
akm3 said:
I think you may be right, after all, these are just standard Bosch sensors. I was asking dealer how much the programmer cost (I actually wanted to buy one if it was around hundred bucks, still would pay itself off after 2-3 years), they told me few grand. It may not be that much for the tire shop.

Marek

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ahhh, I feel sooo much better now that the gov't mandated the TPMS's. I dont know how we made it through the many dark years of not having them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If I purchase a set of (winter) wheels/tires and did not have the computer reprogrammed for the wheels and just covered the icon with a piece of tape, my question would be...are there any other consequences? i.e. chimes, buzzers, etc that I would have to live with...or just the tape over the dash icon?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great info

What size wheels are you using for your winters - I'm getting my mounted and remounted in the spring for $25/tire at local Goodyear place and they have the TPMS reset capability.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i bought 17 inch steel rims.. i have to check, but i believe its a 235/65/17

back then there was limited selection for 18" winter tires and they were a lot more expensive as you had to go with a lower profile.

·
Registered
3 Posts
(TPMS is mandatory in the US?)
So I have to visit a garage every time I switch winter tires, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a set of winter tires (not steel wheels) and have the dealer unmount/remount the winter tire on the OEM rim?
what's the pro and con of my "plan"? I'm pretty noob about this..

·
Registered
151 Posts
i am a do it yourselfer, so having steel rims with winter tires allows me to change them myself. I have two Subarus that I change myself, instead of paying a shop $50 to change remount and rebalance x2... 2 times a season.
But if you are not a do it yourselfer and don't mind paying your dealer to do it then your way is just as fine too :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tpms

:eek:
eckndu said:
(TPMS is mandatory in the US?)
So I have to visit a garage every time I switch winter tires, wouldn't it be easier to just buy a set of winter tires (not steel wheels) and have the dealer unmount/remount the winter tire on the OEM rim?
what's the pro and con of my "plan"? I'm pretty noob about this..
Do you know if TPMS is mandotory in Canada? I am relocating Toronto from Panama but my 09 Tribeca Limited doesn't have this system

·
Registered
66 Posts
tpms

TPMS is not mandatory in Canada
Snow tires are not mandatory in Ontario
Unplugging the battery will not shut the light off
Driving with non-tpms equipped wheels will trigger the light to stay on, do like the "old days" and check the pressures regularly
Subaru uses a system manufactured by "Schrader Electronics" not Bosch
235/65/17 is acceptable, I use Blizzaks on Primax alloy wheels with Subaru (Schrader) TPMS sensors. The dealer in Ottawa (Otto's) charges me approx. $20 to reprogram the sensors when combined with a spring/fall oil change.

I'd be curious to know if "soobi-tic" was able to have the Goodyear dealer reprogram the TPMS.

I believe that TPMS became mandatory in the US after a large number of Ford Explorer vehicles with OE Firestone tires rolled after tire failure due to under inflation. Buy a tire pressure gauge.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts