Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody has thought about Audi S4 B8 supercharger?
especially what about relocating power steering pump, alternator and a/c compressor...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you planning on doing a mod? I was also thinking of doing such a mod(turbo sounds easiest) to get the tribeca bit speedier, but with corresponding mods for tranny.

Anyway, is it still possible to get all the necessary modifications for the engine and tranny in 2022? Most of the threads regarding hexmods or transgo or ez30d turbo(3.6 possible?) are fairly old from 6 to 10+ years old.

Here's what someone said about the ez36 being turboed
Terrible idea. The asymmetric rods, the rod ratio, the compression ratio, all of it is terrible. The 36 is a terrible, bandaid of an engine.

The only way you could really do it would be to have a completely custom bottom end made with a shorter stroke crankshaft and then rods to suit. Not even the ez30 crank will swap over.

You're much better off doing an eg33 swap if the ez30 isn't enough, but there's off the shelf stuff for the ez30 so...

·
V6er Version 2
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well...
1) at the moment - yes, I am planning to do it. (there are a lot of things to do before though... )
1.1) turbo sounds easier? :DDDDDDD you are kidding, right? :D just the changes to intake and exhaust piping...
2) ez36 have been turboed. but yes - a lot of people complain about internals of engine being without much "reserves" for additional power. there is some stuff available, but you need to know what you are doing or have faith in somebody who is going to do so for you :))

ez36 has been supercharged as well...
ez30 - that's different kind of beast - everybody seem to like it and have done it pretty easily... (especially - if you just compare ez30 and ez36 hp/liter.... :D
3) hexmods worked on first generation 5eat (TG5C, if I understood correctly)... ez36 have TG5D, which is VERY different - both hardware and software.
transgo - no experience.
personally - I have tuned valve body from Russia, there were and still are some issues with transmission - so... overhaul required, but problem is - whom to trust? :D

p.s. you, again, have not specified what is "corresponding mods"? may be start with issues from factory (especially in realm of - spirited driving) ;)))

·
Registered
9 Posts
well...
1) at the moment - yes, I am planning to do it. (there are a lot of things to do before though... )
1.1) turbo sounds easier? :DDDDDDD you are kidding, right? :D just the changes to intake and exhaust piping...
2) ez36 have been turboed. but yes - a lot of people complain about internals of engine being without much "reserves" for additional power. there is some stuff available, but you need to know what you are doing or have faith in somebody who is going to do so for you :))

ez36 has been supercharged as well...
ez30 - that's different kind of beast - everybody seem to like it and have done it pretty easily... (especially - if you just compare ez30 and ez36 hp/liter.... :D
3) hexmods worked on first generation 5eat (TG5C, if I understood correctly)... ez36 have TG5D, which is VERY different - both hardware and software.
transgo - no experience.
personally - I have tuned valve body from Russia, there were and still are some issues with transmission - so... overhaul required, but problem is - whom to trust? :D

p.s. you, again, have not specified what is "corresponding mods"? may be start with issues from factory (especially in realm of - spirited driving) ;)))

I was contemplating supercharging my Tribeca as well. But it's more cost effective and reliable to just buy a Supercharged Q5. Plus the Tribeca gearing is way to high for any higher speed fun.

·
V6er Version 2
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what do you mean "gearing is way to high"? and what is considered "higher speed fun" - 1 mile race or just spirited driving?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did graph Tribecas transmission:
pretty short gears, good spread, no dips... I don't see anything wrong.
At 60MPH in 5th we are already around 2.2k RPM. At 80 MPH we are around 3.5k RPM even boosted our motors wouldn't make power past 6k so you are out of appreciable gear to accelerate. My point is it would cost WAY more money attempt to make out Tribeca faster. When you can just buy a (Nicer) faster truck for less money. BTW, I still love my Tribeca

·
V6er Version 2
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wait, wait, wait... why on earth would you talk about custom power(higher than stock) vehicle, put it in WRONG gear and then say it is vehicles fault?! :DDD
if you are looking for maximum vehicles performance(in stock form) - at 80mph you would use 3rd gear, not 5th. (I used 2500-5500 as favorable rpms for this graph).
with higher engine output - you might want change final drives or change wheel sizes... but still - usage of wrong gear - that is not vehicles issue.

about 6k rpm - engines are DESIGNED for specific goals. those goals are met with specific means.
if you want/need high rpms, but want to leave stock(head ports, camshafts, springs, etc) everything there - well... I don't know how to politely explain the situation :D

vehicle choice - that is up to individual. for me - Tribeca matches all MY criteria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
wait, wait, wait... why on earth would you talk about custom power(higher than stock) vehicle, put it in WRONG gear and then say it is vehicles fault?! :DDD
if you are looking for maximum vehicles performance(in stock form) - at 80mph you would use 3rd gear, not 5th. (I used 2500-5500 as favorable rpms for this graph).
with higher engine output - you might want change final drives or change wheel sizes... but still - usage of wrong gear - that is not vehicles issue.

about 6k rpm - engines are DESIGNED for specific goals. those goals are met with specific means.
if you want/need high rpms, but want to leave stock(head ports, camshafts, springs, etc) everything there - well... I don't know how to politely explain the situation :D

vehicle choice - that is up to individual. for me - Tribeca matches all MY criteria.
My point is that the Tribeca platform wasn't designed take advantage of any additional power. I have modified many cars and have custom tuned my own Tribeca, if you are ever in the NYC area we can compare notes. Please refer to my threads, I've upgraded every aspect of my vehicle and have looked into buying a Raptor supercharger. But the power gains aren't worth the addition cost. I'm all for making my cars more responsive. But enjoy your Tribeca with the power it has.

·
V6er Version 2
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn... wish I knew few month back, when I was in NYC last time that there is fellow Tribeca guy who is into tuning! yours was/is 3.0 or 3.6?
About your threads - I am not sure - your profile says "joined sep 1, 2022 - 3 posts" ?! or you had different username before?

raptors.... are sensitive sissies :D just yesterday - I was asking about their headers on facebook(since they have supposedly larger crossection >> better for forced induction)... but since I wasn't "wetting panties" and telling "raptors are soooo cool" - my questions were erased and they even blocked me on their facebook page :D
so - either you believe everything they say ("our headers are specifically designed for supercharger", then you open headers page, which states "power gain 15%", then go to supercharger page "power gains 50%++" - but you can't ask where are those 35++ percent "going" :D ) or you just "keep on going, don't stop" :D

anyway - I will go to local exhaust shop - and talk with them about exhaust fabrication. may be something will come out of it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Damn... wish I knew few month back, when I was in NYC last time that there is fellow Tribeca guy who is into tuning! yours was/is 3.0 or 3.6?
About your threads - I am not sure - your profile says "joined sep 1, 2022 - 3 posts" ?! or you had different username before?

raptors.... are sensitive sissies :D just yesterday - I was asking about their headers on facebook(since they have supposedly larger crossection >> better for forced induction)... but since I wasn't "wetting panties" and telling "raptors are soooo cool" - my questions were erased and they even blocked me on their facebook page :D
so - either you believe everything they say ("our headers are specifically designed for supercharger", then you open headers page, which states "power gain 15%", then go to supercharger page "power gains 50%++" - but you can't ask where are those 35++ percent "going" :D ) or you just "keep on going, don't stop" :D

anyway - I will go to local exhaust shop - and talk with them about exhaust fabrication. may be something will come out of it...
Oh Crap! I didn't realize I logged in with a different profile. My original profile is Rising_Sun

My old build thread. I believe I've reached the end of trying to make more power so I haven't been that active on this forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
nice car!
well... talking about power - e85 route wasn't explored ;))))
Don't get me started!!! E85 isn't readily available in my area. I just went down the rabbit hole with my new project and my wife's car. Currently, our tune supports up to E25/E30 blend. haven't upgraded the fuel system yet to accommodate a full E85 tune. So I just add 3 gallons of E85 with every full fill up. But boosted cars LOVE the E!

·
Registered
9 Posts
btw, do you have like writeup in sam VAG forum about your car?
Thank you sir! I started a thread when I purchased my car, but COVID got in the way and I lost interest updating my Progress.

·
V6er Version 2
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just a quick question - are first pictures in topic "broken" in anyway - or i just need to be registered to view them?
p.s. by any chance - do you have distances between stabilizer bar end link mounting points? (may be something can be used on Tribecas... :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts