Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am new to this awesome forum and about to be a new Subaru Tribeca enthusiast. I live in Birmingham, Alabama of which Subarus are pretty rare around here but because of the hilly and winding roads, Subaru is a perfect car here although we seldom get a lot of snow during the winter.

I am in the market for 2008 Tribeca and I need your inputs. Please talk me in or out of this cross-over SUV. What are the things to look for, as far as what to bite for and what to run away from? I heard stories about the AC is marginally good, which is not good especially on the hottest and most humid summer days here in the south but I need confirmation from you guys.

I also heard that 2008 model is an improved and better version or model from the previous and prior models after they dropped the "B9" extension to just "Tribeca" and an updated look of the front grille.

Thanks in advance and any of your input, positive and negative will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have an '08 and love it. Very solid car with very few/minor problems. Ya, the A/C could be colder but it's not bad by any means.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Go with the 08+. The H6 got a little bigger, runs on 87 and the trans is much smoother. 06-07 recommended premium and the trans hesitated when pushed.

I loved driving the Tribe in the snow. It was flawless.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brien said:
We have an '08 and love it. Very solid car with very few/minor problems. Ya, the A/C could be colder but it's not bad by any means.
I saw from your profile that you're from Sacramento. How hot does it get up there? Because here in the Southeast, it can get to 100's and the humidity almost doubles the heat intensity. ...and what are the examples of "few/minor problems"?....if you don't mind me asking....
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Magic Marker said:
Go with the 08+. The H6 got a little bigger, runs on 87 and the trans is much smoother. 06-07 recommended premium and the trans hesitated when pushed.

I loved driving the Tribe in the snow. It was flawless.
Yea, an '08 is what I'm set to look at and purchase, although I prefer the prior model's front end look but I'd rather have the "Americanized" look with a better performance than the former.

By the way, what do you mean by "the H6 got a little bigger"? I though all the Tribecas and B9s have the 3.6 liter H6 under the hood although like you've mentioned the later models run on Regular 87 and has more horses and torque with improved transmission but both older and newer models still gets 16 city/21 highway.....

·
Registered
164 Posts
06-07 had the 3.0 H6. the 08+ has the 3.6 with about 10 more horses and 30lb more torque. the additional torque is noticeable. the transmission was also revised in the 08+.

on the a/c...i live in hotlanta so i can attest to the summer temps...the a/c will cool the interior down and keep it cool with no problem, however it does seem to take a little longer to get cold at times.

i've been very happy with my 09 and would purchase again. when it comes to bang for the buck it's hard to find a better used car deal given everything you get with the tribeca.

·
Registered
345 Posts
sb9tango said:
I saw from your profile that you're from Sacramento. How hot does it get up there? Because here in the Southeast, it can get to 100's and the humidity almost doubles the heat intensity. ...and what are the examples of "few/minor problems"?....if you don't mind me asking....
Thanks for the input!
The central valley here is know for getting really hot during the summers. It's not uncommon to be running in the 100's for a week straight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I don't have as much experience with our 2010 Tribeca A/C system as we purchased ours after the summer months last year. Our 2006 Outback A/C system certainly cooled the car down, but it didn't seem to get as cold as other cars I have owned. Sounds like a Subaru quirk in general.

I would go for the 2008 Tribeca. We have enjoyed our Tribeca for the power, smooth driving, more space that it offers. My two minor negatives so far is the small gas tank and the third row seats could use a bit more room.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BzB said:
06-07 had the 3.0 H6. the 08+ has the 3.6 with about 10 more horses and 30lb more torque. the additional torque is noticeable. the transmission was also revised in the 08+.

on the a/c...i live in hotlanta so i can attest to the summer temps...the a/c will cool the interior down and keep it cool with no problem, however it does seem to take a little longer to get cold at times.

i've been very happy with my 09 and would purchase again. when it comes to bang for the buck it's hard to find a better used car deal given everything you get with the tribeca.
It's great to hear from someone from the southeast! I know how is it like to sit in I-20, I-85 and I-285 traffic at around August. Thanks for the info about the engine variations between the early and late models.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brien said:
The central valley here is know for getting really hot during the summers. It's not uncommon to be running in the 100's for a week straight.
Wow! We get 100s to 107's the most but only occassionally....it's just the thick humid air that penetrates through the skin is what I can't stand....that's why an efficient AC would be nice to have on those occassions...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soulcoughin said:
Welcome to the club!

I don't have as much experience with our 2010 Tribeca A/C system as we purchased ours after the summer months last year. Our 2006 Outback A/C system certainly cooled the car down, but it didn't seem to get as cold as other cars I have owned. Sounds like a Subaru quirk in general.

I would go for the 2008 Tribeca. We have enjoyed our Tribeca for the power, smooth driving, more space that it offers. My two minor negatives so far is the small gas tank and the third row seats could use a bit more room.
Thanks!

Must be a Subaru quirk as far as for the Tribeca.... The same way as Mercedes....I own two early model Mercedes sedans and it's frustrating that these high end European car autos, no matter how advanced and sophisticated their technology is, they can't seem to get the AC right.

About the gas tank, how many total miles do you get between top-off and next fill-up if you wait long enough to squeeze it down to when the gas warning light starts coming on?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fuel

It's my wife's everyday vehicle, so I don't recall the exact mileage when the fuel light comes on (I never let it get that low!), but I would say around 225 miles. The Tribeca has a tank capacity of 16.9 gallons, and averages roughly 18 mpg (combined city/highway). The 18 mpg doesn't bother me, considering it is a 6 cyl, AWD drive vehicle--it is comparable to most peers in its class. I would prefer a bigger tank, but as I say it isn't really that big of a deal. The one good thing about the tank is that it doesn't (psychologically) feel as painful at the pump since it is a bit smaller.

As others on her have reiterated, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with the Tribeca. We bought ours new, and I think many people think we spent much more than we did on it. I like that Subaru puts a lot of standard features on their vehicles that are extras on many others.

My two cents for what its worth.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Soulcoughin said:
It's my wife's everyday vehicle, so I don't recall the exact mileage when the fuel light comes on (I never let it get that low!), but I would say around 225 miles. The Tribeca has a tank capacity of 16.9 gallons, and averages roughly 18 mpg (combined city/highway). The 18 mpg doesn't bother me, considering it is a 6 cyl, AWD drive vehicle--it is comparable to most peers in its class. I would prefer a bigger tank, but as I say it isn't really that big of a deal. The one good thing about the tank is that it doesn't (psychologically) feel as painful at the pump since it is a bit smaller.
i get around 240 before the fuel light comes on, but 80% of my driving during the week are hwy miles. on a recent road trip, all hwy, i got to 300 before the light came on. avg'd 21.1 mpg for the tank.

and you're right about the tank size, i would also prefer it be bigger to extend the range, but it helps that our engines are spec'd for regular unleaded instead of premium.

Soulcoughin said:
As others on her have reiterated, I think you get a lot of bang for your buck with the Tribeca. We bought ours new, and I think many people think we spent much more than we did on it. I like that Subaru puts a lot of standard features on their vehicles that are extras on many others.

this is also very true, it's not hard to get a good deal on newer tribecas either. also, with the standard features and nice interior it's very competitive against vehicles that cost more.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Soulcoughin said:

Yea, I agree about the "psycologically painful" feeling when filling up when the fuel light is already on especially with todays fuel price, one of my diesel cars hold 21+ gallon and 20+ usable gallons and costs me almost more or less $90 bucks to top off even if I get consistent 26mpg on hway/city mix driving.

But it's nice to hear that Tribeca's reputaion and standard features gets your moneys worth. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my 08' back in January and so far love it. What an upgrade from my old 00' impreza outback. No real complaints to mention. I too feel I got great bang for the buck, and plus it's another Subaru. Enough said.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Our 2008 Ltd 7 passenger is the main car for the household. Our other car is a 1998 Outback Ltd with 5 spd. It is our "toad" we haul behind our motor home on trips. The only thing that needed replacing was the bushings for the front stabilizer bar. It thumped going over bumps on our wonderful roads. Replaced on warrantee.

Yes, it would be nice to have a twenty gallon gas tank. If they update the Tribeca using the new Outback platform, there will be a larger tank.

We love our Tribeca for trips. Cruises at 80mph really nicely. The all the time AWD is great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Love the car...except for the front suspension. I have had to replace various sway bar parts 4 or 5 times now. I won't buy another.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recommned you look for a 2009 model becouse it has a better engine (3.6L) and a reshaped frontal.

Be aware about submodeling (Limited, touring, etc) to save some bucks

About AC, I am in Panama, with a all year arount 90's and I have no major complaint (my Ford 500 can be more ice cold)

sb9tango said:
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am new to this awesome forum and about to be a new Subaru Tribeca enthusiast. I live in Birmingham, Alabama of which Subarus are pretty rare around here but because of the hilly and winding roads, Subaru is a perfect car here although we seldom get a lot of snow during the winter.

I am in the market for 2008 Tribeca and I need your inputs. Please talk me in or out of this cross-over SUV. What are the things to look for, as far as what to bite for and what to run away from? I heard stories about the AC is marginally good, which is not good especially on the hottest and most humid summer days here in the south but I need confirmation from you guys.

I also heard that 2008 model is an improved and better version or model from the previous and prior models after they dropped the "B9" extension to just "Tribeca" and an updated look of the front grille.

Thanks in advance and any of your input, positive and negative will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
As mentioned before - 08 and up have the better engine and trans, not 09.

I live in Atlanta as well and can say that the A/C is plenty sufficient. It's no icebox like the wife's Acura but it does the job just fine. When you are shopping take the car over some bumpd/potholes etc. and listen for hatch rattle. There is a TSB for it but its a good idea to get it fixed before you buy.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.