Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The newly revealed Legacy Concept appears to have the same wheelbase as the existing Tribeca. (Which I believe is the long wheelbase Outback chassis?) It also has the same 3.6L engine. If the Outback continues to stay on the same chassis as the Legacy, it would mean that the Outback would be growing soon as well, possibly growing into the Tribeca's slot in the line up. What then for the Tribeca?

Personally I would like to see the Tribeca just a little bigger, CX-9 sized, but since Subaru is doing so well with its smaller models I doubt that will happen. I think today's Tribeca is about as big as it's going to get.

(Obviously there is a LOT of speculation here so please don't get bent out of shape.)

·
Registered
552 Posts
http://www.leftlanenews.com/subaru-legacy-2010.html

Subaru has released some 2010 Legacy pics/info ahead of its launch next week at the NY Auto Show. This or its sibling Outback will probably be our next purchase around Sept. 2010 once the wife's current Legacy is paid off!:tup: :D

I'm a sucker for a good interior...and I really like this new update.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it too. While I think this will be a good car for Subaru, I don't think it's good news for the Tribeca. I would love a Turbo 6 speed Outback, my wife wouldn't let it happen. So I'd end up with the 3.6L auto 5. Which is essentially a Tribeca in a slightly different package. I just don't see Subaru growing the Tribeca in this economic climate. It will go the way of the Baja.

Prove me wrong. Please.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's a tough market to crack (CUV), especially in low volumes. There are, it seems, a minimum of 2 offerings from every auto maker that would fill this vehicle class, and either at a cheaper price point or with a more luxurious offering. Trying to toe that line is almost impossible, but I like that I had an option from Subaru when I found mine.

I wouldn't mind a slightly wider Legacy/Outback, as that is what I like most about our tribeca: three across in the back seat in comfort. Length, in my opinion, is fine across the board. Funny how the 3.6 is crowned the top engine, when it has almost 10 fewer hps and lbs/ft than the turbo 2.5. I understand the lag associated with a turbo, but there isn't much low end lug with the 3.6 either.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I like the new front end, the back end is rather generic (read: let down), but the interior is a definite improvement IMHO.

I'd tend to agree that the Tribeca will probably be on life support after the 2010/11 model. Sales have been lackluster at best, there's just too much competition in the mid-size CUV class and I don't see Subaru investing in a full model redesign to keep the Tribeca competitive after the typical 5-6 year model run unfortunately:(

All in all, I'm not hanging up hope yet, but at least we got a good car while it lasted:)

McGurk...if you'll notice in the article, the new Legacy is 3" wider which will definitely help, also I read that the rear is supposed to gain +4" of leg room...we shall see. Those are the 2 main complaints I have of our 06 Legacy, it's a great car, just feels a bit cramped especially compared to its main rivals (Accord/Camry/Altima).

My other main hope is for the revised suspension (MacPherson struts up front/double-wishbone in back). Our Legacy certainly handles "sportingly" enough, but with the low-profile 17" rims and the hard-tuned suspension, it gets a bit tiresome on longer trips:eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not only is it a tough market to crack, Subaru was late to the game. If they had released the 2008 Tribeca in 2006... Well, we'll never know.

The thing about horsepower and torque is that you really need to look at the total area under the curve, not just the peak number. Turbos usually have a very sharp performance peak, and when you get away from that peak they're not so special. That's where the M6 tranny will come in handy, but it is still work to drive them. In the mid 80s I drove a Mustang SVO - an intercooled turbo 4 with a 5 speed manual. It was a blast to drive, but you had to DRIVE it. In traffic it was much less than fun. Many would rather the smooth V6 I expect, including me most of the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the Legacy is no longer just a concept and the 2010 Outback has been announced as well. I rather like the Outback except for the new non-optional roof rail system which is a catastrophic FAIL imo. I really use the roof rails and put a lot of stuff up there at times.

The good news is that cars101 is reporting that the Tribby will be 7 passenger only from 2010. Good news because, if true, it means that at least it won't be dropped. Although I always thought the Tribby worked much better as a 5 passenger, I hope this means that the wheelbase, or at least the interior, gets a few more inches.

http://www.cars101.com/

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was talking to a dealer about the new tribeca and they were saying that it will grow a few inches.

5 passenger models were fail IMO. Why not make it a 7passenger standard? The extra seats are just a bonus.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ralliartist said:
I was talking to a dealer about the new tribeca and they were saying that it will grow a few inches.

5 passenger models were fail IMO. Why not make it a 7passenger standard? The extra seats are just a bonus.
I don't think the 5-pass were fail, since the 7-pass were really only 5+2 anyway. It's a 5-pass with 2 jump seats.

If it grows in length a few inches, that will mean legroom in both 2nd row and 3rd row AT THE SAME TIME! Just what was needed.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The Tribeca needs the length in the wheelbase. It already has an unusually short wheelbase for such a large vehicle and the overhangs at the front and rear severely limit even mild off road use.
A bit more legroom in the back would be welcome too - should improve the ride in the rear as a bonus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts