Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Only way to know is to ask a dealer if it's possible...those are the keys you get with 08 Legacy's and I think Impreza's too.

That being said, the all in one key is overrated IMHO. It's extremely BULKY and very long. My Accord has a similar key and my bro-in-law has one for his Legacy. We both don't like them. The primary issue we have is that we both keep our keys in our pants pockets, and the all-in-one design is long and you have to be sure to fold up your keys in a wad before putting them in your pocket. Also Subaru's design is not very compact, it's probably 1.5 times bigger than my Accord's key.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snork said:
Only way to know is to ask a dealer if it's possible...
Unfortunately dealers usually not willing to help with cross platform keys usage. :tdown:

Or at least that what people say when they try to ask dealer to cut an Acura key to use with Accord. :(

And yes, I agree with your point on Honda key being smaller than Subaru key.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Your not going cross brands though, just different models. If you have a decent local dealer it shouldn't be that big of an issue as long as the remotes speak the same language...which is most likely the case.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
those are the keys you get with 08 Legacy's and I think Impreza's too.
Sorry Snork, new Imprezas still have the same key fobs as our B9's. And also the separate remote starter fob too.

If you have a decent local dealer it shouldn't be that big of an issue as long as the remotes speak the same language...which is most likely the case.
I'll check with my dealer. I have a good relationship with them. They'll tell me if they can make it work.

·
Registered
552 Posts
That's a much nicer key Des...you guys are lucky. Not too big neither. I have the same metal keychain as you, except for my Honda. Don't ask me why, but I like it b/c it's heavy, LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Des said:
The key for the Australian 07 Tribeca has the remote built in. I've attached a pic - not sure if they are compatible but maybe you are able to source them as a spare? Cheers, Des :)
That would be a no-go :(

As you can see Aussie key is rounded versus US key has sharp edges. :mad:

We had similar conversation on a Legacy board.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, I couldn't remember off hand, but I didn't think our keys were laser cut.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Was just checking out the cars101 website. Apparently the 09 Tribeca's have an all-in-one key design...

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tribeca/tribeca2009.html#new%20for%2007

So I would think it shouldn't be a big deal to get one of these for an older model although the price may not be worth it. My dealer charged $150 for spare set of my original keys. The fob/key was $90, then programming...which is apparently needlessly complicated even by the dealer's own admission. The keys are chipped, so you gotta get the code from SOA, program the fob, then program the car to accept the key & fob too.

Note this stupid subaru page...
https://subarudealers.locksmithsdrm.com/sd-sdrm/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bionicbadger said:
Those are keys that come with the 2008 Tribeca. I have one in my pocket now.
Universal health care and now this :mad:......................:D
I am moving to Canada. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you seen the keys that come with even the cheapest Volkswagen? The key part (that is inserted into dash) folds into the black fob part, & snicks open at the press of a button. Whole key is therefore half the size of ours. But in use a trifle clumsy I've found. Small price to pay for greater convenience.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Des said:
The key for the Australian 07 Tribeca has the remote built in. I've attached a pic - not sure if they are compatible but maybe you are able to source them as a spare? Cheers, Des :)
I wonder if those keys would work with my new 08 Impreza. I have laser cut keys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts