Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Stupid cargo cover install...grr

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  JimLev 
#1 ·
Teh wifey wasn't comfortable with putting expensive cargo in the rear section with only the privacy glass keeping prying eyes away, so we got the "cargo area cover thingy" from a local dealership. In case my explanation is less than helpful, it's sort of like the retractable window-shade thing that I have in my WRX wagon, only this one doesn't retract...and it doesn't come standard :(

Installation seemed straightforward: drill two holes in the plastic pillar cover where these little "dots" are molded into the plastic, insert self-anchoring doohickeys in said holes, and voila! Install done.

THERE ARE TWO SETS OF DOTS. I failed to notice this until AFTER the install. The result of this oversight is that I installed the anchors about three inches too far forward, and the resulting tension on the cargo cover is ridiculous.

I can't remove the little anchor things and re-drill in the correct spots, as I'll then have two 1/2" holes in the interior just sitting there, mocking me.

Any advice on how to fill holes in interior plastic? And even though I'm from Maine, duct tape is NOT an acceptable solution :)

See less See more
#3 ·
It attaches with elastic loops at each of the four corners. There are already two anchors just inside the hatch on the side of the cargo area, but the forward two anchors need to be installed. Kind of a PITA, but if it keeps the pricey stuff from being jacked, I'll deal.

#4 ·
It doesn't retract?:eek2: :Dunno: That's actually some bs right there on Subaru's part!:bs: :( I was contemplating getting one for the same reason as you, but I doubt it now.

Even my old '86 Subaru GL-10 wagon had a privacy cover that retracted and had the standard tension bar type install where you just pulled one side in and slid it into the grooves on each side behind the seats (toilet paper holder style:lol:).

#5 ·
Hate to give you a "Doh!" moment but Subaru actually has two cargo covers for the Tribeca. The more expensive one is retractable and is a little flimsier than the one for the Forester. Goes in without drilling holes too. Of course that may only be true for the 2008+ Tribecas. They have the holes to snap the cover in and I have not peered in back of a 2006 to see if it is similar.

I purchased the cargo cover and all weather floor mats during the first week of ownership. I consider them neccessities.

#7 ·
Rotorflyr said:
AWeD Gray got it right, there are two different verison available, one retractable the other not.......I believe they are available for all model years, however can only be used in the 7pax with the third row folded down.
Oh, if only that was true. Either it's wrong, or my dealer is teh stupid. They tell me that the only retractable options are for the 2008+ models.

So - how to fill those two holes?

#8 ·
You could probably find some plastic caps at a hardware store or bigger automotive store (ie: Pepboys). You'd probably have to go w/ black caps though as I doubt you'd find grey ones that match.

#9 · (Edited)
#11 ·
AWeD Gray said:
Hate to give you a "Doh!" moment but Subaru actually has two cargo covers for the Tribeca. The more expensive one is retractable and is a little flimsier than the one for the Forester. Goes in without drilling holes too. Of course that may only be true for the 2008+ Tribecas. They have the holes to snap the cover in and I have not peered in back of a 2006 to see if it is similar.

I purchased the cargo cover and all weather floor mats during the first week of ownership. I consider them neccessities.
Yep, I purchased the retractable one online for my 08 Beca. No drilling necessary. I can't believe they require some sort of drilling to install the non-retractable one!!! But I agree with AWed Gray, its definitely a necessity!!

#13 ·
AWeD Gray said:
Hate to give you a "Doh!" moment but Subaru actually has two cargo covers for the Tribeca.
If I remember correctly, the retractable version only became available with the newer design of the 2008's+ and was NOT retrofittable for the 06-07 MYs. To my knowledge no one ever made an after-market retractable one for the older Tribecas (I researched it at one time, but not recently).

I live in sunny AZ and never use my cover any more. The privacy glass is really dark enough to hide things to the casual observer. If you get really close and shade your eyes in the daytime, you can sort of see what's in the back, but it's not easy.

-Karen-

#14 ·
I'm pretty sure our retractable cargo cover came with the car. Maybe it was an accessory in the package. But I like being able to take it out since it gets in the way or bigger item and I don't want it back there for the dog to chew on when he's back there.

#16 ·
bionicbadger said:
Its annoying since it pretty much prevents you from loading anything big into the back because you have a long bar going all the way across the back several inches away from the back seats about halfway up the side.
If it's anything like Subaru's other retractable covers, you should be able to grab the plastic on one of the ends and pull it laterally towards the other end of the bar...which allows you to remove it pretty easily. They're all spring-loaded and stuff ;)

#17 ·
jimbo said:
If it's anything like Subaru's other retractable covers, you should be able to grab the plastic on one of the ends and pull it laterally towards the other end of the bar...which allows you to remove it pretty easily. They're all spring-loaded and stuff ;)
Yup, spring loaded like a shower curtain rod. I have one in my Impreza.

#18 ·
jimbo said:
yeah it goes in and out easily. But I have it out because everythime I want to stick something in the back, its in the way, so I just leave it out all the time.

#19 ·
jimbo said:
It attaches with elastic loops at each of the four corners. There are already two anchors just inside the hatch on the side of the cargo area, but the forward two anchors need to be installed. Kind of a PITA, but if it keeps the pricey stuff from being jacked, I'll deal.
It is a cheap plastic sheet, thanks god I delegated installation to local dealer: he made your mistake (and replace parts at his cost)

I hear 5-seat has standart back cover and it is rectactile (as my old Ford Explorer has)!

#20 · (Edited)
kmartin said:
If I remember correctly, the retractable version only became available with the newer design of the 2008's+ and was NOT retrofittable for the 06-07 MYs.
To my knowledge no one ever made an after-market retractable one for the older Tribecas (I researched it at one time, but not recently).

-Karen-
You could be right about that, never looked into finding one, as we only used the one we had in our 97 OB, two maybe three times, in the 10+ yrs we've owned it and it doesn't have the tinted glass the Beca does!

As for an aftermarket one, while not a true "option" I would bet a spring loaded window shade could be made to work easily and actually not look 1/2 bad (had a friend do that with an old Ford Bronco)

#21 ·
Looks like I have to defend the retractable cover.

I really like it on weekend trips when you have some gear in the back that you want to keep out of site. It also has enough rigidity to throw hats and shirts on top of it. Easy access versus rooting around in the trunk for those items.

I have one friend that seems to always have his car broken into whenever he leaves a gym bag exposed and his windows are tinted darker than mine.

#23 ·
I’am looking for the used trunk room trims (left & right in beige color) for Subaru B9 Tribeca (model 2006 or 2007 only to be sure I've got a good fit) with special mounting points, located centered and below the rear windows, to install the tonneau cover (retractable luggage compartment cover).
I own a car (B9 Tribeca 2006) that does not have such mounting brackets for the retractable cargo cover. Because I have the cover, I wish I could use it in my Subaru.

Up you can find the photos of the marked places where those mounts should be located.

#24 · (Edited)
jimbo said:
Installation seemed straightforward: drill two holes in the plastic pillar cover where these little "dots" are molded into the plastic, insert self-anchoring doohickeys in said holes, and voila! Install done.

THERE ARE TWO SETS OF DOTS. I failed to notice this until AFTER the install. The result of this oversight is that I installed the anchors about three inches too far forward, and the resulting tension on the cargo cover
Jimbo, thanks for the info, I just bought the cover and will be drilling the holes this next week.
Also got the winter floor mats and the rear bumper cover thing.

Edit: I installed the rear cover a week ago. Didn't see 2 sets of dots, only one dot on each side which were so small you needed a magnifying glass to see. The directions talked about them being on a raised non-textured area, my side panels had neither of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.