Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newer Tribeca owner here. Anyone ever chance their rear speed sensors? I have the ABS and Brake lights on, as well as the Traction Control light. I want to change my rear wheel speed sensors, but I cannot get the rear driver side sensor our of the hub. It is stuck, and I am afraid I will tear the senor apart and not be able to remove the part still in the hub.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I kinda figured that is what I will end up doing. Any suggestions on how to proceed so I do not damage the tone ring on the hub?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was replacing the hub anyway so wasn’t worrying about that. You’ll just have to go easy with the drill. Just to warn you, in many cases, the wheel speed sensor fails due to a defective wheel bearing which causes the tone ring to wear away the sensor (and then it fails).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am hoping I can drill sensors out without any hub damage. I am also really hoping I don't have to replace either or both hubs. Was it hard to do, and where did you get the hubs?

Also, have you replaced rear struts? I can't seam to find a complete rear strut assembly anywhere except a Monroe from Rockauto, and it isn't in stock.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hubs - Use OEM. They aren't much difference in price, and lots of problem with speed sensors if you use non-oem.

Struts - KYB from shocks.com but they might be out of business. They aren't overly expensive and are OEM.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again. I did find some used rear hubs and struts of a 07 Tibeca. Might check them out.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Unless you are time rich, I would go with new. I don't have time to do the job twice, so I spend a bit more now on making sure it's right the first time. But that wasn't true 20 years ago when parts cost more, and my time was cheaper.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up the car fir very little, and hopefully wont have to put much into it. I am going to start by replacing both rear sensors and try to clean the tone ring as best as possible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Having a bear of a time getting all of the stuck speed senor drilled of of the knuckle. I don't want to have to take the while hub apart to remove the stuck bits of sensor that did not come out after drilling. I think I will blast it with PB Blaster and let it sit over night. Might have to try heating up a screw and inserting into remaining part of stuck sensor

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ended up drilling out sensor and pounding on knuckle and rinsing with contact cleaner, and finally got all of the sensor removed. Replaced the seonsor, cleaned the brakes and reassembled. All the dash lights are now off and the cruise works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts