Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a nail in the right rear tire. Saw it coming out of a child's party, so I've been driving on it. It looked shallow enough so I figured I'd pull it. Once I heard the air hissing out, I prompltly inserted that bad boy back in. ;)

Went to Just Tires, and since they patch, they refused to repair since its close to the sidewall.

Its on the contact patch, I guess close enough to the corner. I've kept the nail in, matter of fact, hammered it in a bit, and looking to cut the nail in half to keep the nail in as plug. No air leaking, as far as I can tell.

So, replace the tire (car has 7k miles), replace the rear 2, or leave it alone?

·
Registered
151 Posts
depends, how much tread is left, can you get one tire and still be even in tread with the other tire. Also what brand of tire? are they expensive? Its better to be safe and not be stuck somewhere cursing with a flat. See if you can find a used set of tires, maybe with your local tire dealer. I wouldn't rely on a nail to keep my tire inflated.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the Goodyears LS2, stockers, and its got 7.5k miles on the other 3.

Anyone know if getting a new tire will get the balance off with the other 3 having 7.5 k? If I go that route, I think I'll get one new tire, rotate the rears (with the new tire) on the front.

Anyone for leaving it alone?

·
449 Posts
Well this is the official thought on changing the tires out:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3433

But with that low mileage on them I think you should be fine IMHO. Just get it patched as long as the hole isn't in the sidewall.

If you ever see a nail never remove it till you can fix it. Unless it's sticking out and gonna rotate and hit the car somewhere in the fender well. I carry a small compressor and plug kit for just such an occasion. That way I'm not stuck somewhere till I can get it patched properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts