Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'm in need of new brakes and after much research, I've decided to swap my front factory calipers & rotors w/ STi C&R's. They both share the same bolt pattern, 5x114.3. For reference, the 08' Tribeca and 05' STi specs are:

Tribeca
FRONT: Rotor Diameter x Thickness (in): 12.3 x 1.2
STi
FRONT: Rotor Diameter x Thickness (in): 12.8 x 1.2

For the front, I ordered 05' Brembo STi calipers, DBA 5000 slotted rotors, Cosworth Streetmaster pads & Goodridge Stainless Steel lines.

I will post pics of the project as soon as the parts arrive (09.09.11). I haven't seen any write-ups or pics before, so hopefully I can shed some light if anyone is thinking about this project as well.
:banana:

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

By rjdsti at 2011-09-12

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi. I'm very interested in this mod, because I have to change brakes in next months and for the price that I get from Subaru, I can get a much better brake kit. I'm thinking in:

- STI Calipers (Brembo Oro Series)
- EBC 3GD Sport Rotors
- EBC RedStuff Pads
- Goodridge Steel lines

We have some colaborators in spanish main Subaru Forums, the help us to get accesories and pieces for our cars saving some money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NatetheSkate said:
Looks BADASS!
I'm hoping this setup would work with my '06. Hate to assume they are the same. Anyone know?
From what I know I believe they will fit just fine. Mine were a direct bolt on affair, no modifications necessary except the removal of the factory dust shield.

·
Registered
118 Posts
stevieb143 said:
I am just wondering why have subaru designed the hubs like this

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/dsc2949a.jpg/

I didnt realise they were like that.. I thought the wheel studs were full length from the disc all the way to the wheel.
Hey, Steveib, there is a spacer on the hub, so the stock wheels will clear the new MUCH bigger caliper. Notice the five bolts between the five new lugs. Those are the stock bolts on the stock lugs holding on the spacer. The wheel will then be attached using the new lugs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
AMPc said:
There are no differences between brake system in 2006-2007 and >2008 Tribecas.

It just must be fit OK.
Very cool, now I will just have to push the purchase order thru the "boss" (wife) lmao!!!:naughty:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi rdjtribeca... a couple of questions.

- Have you noticed a better braking power with the new kitt?? Isn't necesary to change the master cylinder for the new Brembos?? I don't know if the STI and Tribeca master cylinders are the same, or at least if the Tribeca's one has enought power to use with the Brembos.

- Could you do me a favor, please?. I have a Brembo caliper to test in my car if without spacers the rim touches the caliper, but to avoid removing the caliper if it's very evident that the rim will touch the caliper... could you measure the distance between the rim and the caliper at the closer point??
Knowing you are using 30 mm spacers, your measure - 30 mm will be the distance without them. If that distance is <30 mm, that calipers will touch the rim and I won't try installing the caliper. I think in the STI de distance between the caliper and rim is just 5-7 mm or so.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
rjdtribeca said:
(...) Mine were a direct bolt on affair, no modifications necessary except the removal of the factory dust shield.
oddly enough... maybe it's because of two-part rotors?

few days ago I installed front brakes from STI MY'09 to my B9 and the removal of original dust shield wasn't required ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
AMPc said:
(...) a couple of questions.
If you don't mind I'll to anwser these questions :)

AMPc said:
- Have you noticed a better braking power with the new kitt?? Isn't necesary to change the master cylinder for the new Brembos?? I don't know if the STI and Tribeca master cylinders are the same, or at least if the Tribeca's one has enought power to use with the Brembos.
better braking power?
with OEM pads - rather no in terms of stopping distance, but the feeling/modulation of brakes now is definetely better :tup:
and the most important thing - vibration from rotors is gone, brakes are so smooth now :cool:

master cylinder?
no need to change it...

AMPc said:
- Could you do me a favor, please?. I have a Brembo caliper to test in my car if without spacers the rim touches the caliper, but to avoid removing the caliper if it's very evident that the rim will touch the caliper... could you measure the distance between the rim and the caliper at the closer point??
Knowing you are using 30 mm spacers, your measure - 30 mm will be the distance without them. If that distance is <30 mm, that calipers will touch the rim and I won't try installing the caliper. I think in the STI de distance between the caliper and rim is just 5-7 mm or so.

Thanks a lot.
OEM wheels don't fit over the front STI BREMBO brakes, that's clear... but it seems that the 4-5mm spacer will solve the problem at least in the case of original B9 wheels (it's still safe to use 4-5mm spacer with original studs)
next spring I'm going to re-install OEM wheels so at that point I'll write something concrete :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello! And what about 4pot front break calipers from WRX MY06-...? They have the same rotors (316mm), except that they have 5*100mm holes. Does they fit tribecas steering knuckle mount?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Duke_kz said:
Hello! And what about 4pot front break calipers from WRX MY06-...? They have the same rotors (316mm), except that they have 5*100mm holes. Does they fit tribecas steering knuckle mount?
USDM WRX's with 4-pot's (MY'06-07) have small rotors - 294/295mm...
caliper itself will fit, but the WRX/FXT rotors are way too small ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ohhh, its bad news. I planned to try them on my tribeca. Sti calipers is expensive and I see in first posts, that tribecas native wheels will not combine with them.
Is there any 4pot brake calipers on the other Subaru cars, that will fit tribeca?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Duke_kz said:
Ohhh, its bad news. I planned to try them on my tribeca. Sti calipers is expensive and I see in first posts, that tribecas native wheels will not combine with them.
Is there any 4pot brake calipers on the other Subaru cars, that will fit tribeca?
actually you can use 4-pot's from WRX, but on a Tribeca you'll want/need a bigger rotors (OEM 294x24mm rotors from WRX are way too small)

you can choose something lik this, but imho it's too expensive... it's better to look for a used front calipers/complete brakes from an STI

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/~godspeed/product.php?id_product=121

·
Registered
13 Posts
Duke_kz said:
Yeah, I've tested it a few days ago. STI calipers can't be used without spacers with native wheels.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts