Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 06 tribeca w 212k :) The steering wheel shakes when I break / declerate, more so going down hills. The tires have been balanced and rotors recently replaced, break pads were not replaced as there was 65% wear left.

Any suggestions on what it might be ? my subaru dealer told me that my tires were too aggressive for the vehicle, Cooper Discoverer HT 255/55/18, the tires are fantastic in the snow !

thank you
adam

·
Registered
771 Posts
From the size I can tell that you have Discoverer H/T Plus. It seems to me that these tires are more aggressive that most SUV tires most people choose. This is being supported by a relatively low speed rating (T 118mph). When breaking some tire feedback with these tires can transfer to the steering wheel. It can be more noticeable than with other more "highway" tires.

It looks like the dealer did all the steps to eliminate the obvious reasons for this issue.

How bad is this? When did it start?

Remember, there is no one tire do it all. It is always a compromise between comfort and handling (braking, cornering, stability...). If you want warm weather and winter performance then buy dedicated summer and winter tires.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Caliper

Just a thought we had a stuck front caliper on our 2006 Tribeca. This was right around the miles that you're at.

Did the dealership verify all your brake components are in good shape?

Vibration under braking to me means a rotor/pad/caliper combination is not in sync.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
The deceleration w/o braking makes me think it could be something else, but a stuck caliper could definitely manifest itself in both of those conditions.

Is there a pull to one side?

Have you tried rotating the tires?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, dealer took vehicle back, defective caliper which they had replaced in march covered under warranty. car feels like new.

thanks

06 b9 212k 7pass w/Nav

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the advice, dealer took vehicle back, defective caliper which they had replaced in march covered under warranty. car feels like new.

thanks

06 b9 212k 7pass w/Nav
Which caliper was it? My car is doing the same thing. Rotors are fine, pads are fine. Fluids are fine. I'm at 107k

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the front right caliper. The car would shake at 40-60 during acceleration and dive/pull to the right when breaking. Best of luck ! Hope this helps .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts