Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone upgrade their speakers? If so, what size and did it require any mods/brackets/etc?

As is the common concensus with our factory stereo, it's less than stellar. I'm not looking for super loud volumes (ie: don't need an separate amp), I'm just looking to clear up the muddy sound a bit. I figure I could accomplish this pretty easily by just replacing the 4 door mounted speakers. Crutchfield says 5.25" and 6.5" will fit, but that an adapting bracket will be needed and new holes drilled, which is no big deal IMHO...I'd probably just fab my own bracket if needed as Crutchfield just gives you a sh!tty generic plastic ring.

I'd like to go w/ 6.5" speakers, just wondering if anyone has any prior experiences with this in their Tribeca?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I don't know myself, but swapping out speakers will help a bit. IMO, the oem subwoofer in our LTD doesn't do a thing.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree...the oem sub is less than effective, but overall there's more bass than treble in the system. Good 2 or 3 way speakers will help both sides. I put 4 way Eclipse 6x9s in my Accord, I now have more treble than is necessary (I turn it way down) and with the bass maxed, some people have thought I actually have a subwoofer. And all I'm running is the OEM stereo w/ 120W total.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had a full system in my 96 Civic and it was amazing. It had a Kenwood eXcelon HU, MB Quart components, Orion 6X9's in the back, Directed 5 Channel amp and Sub. Now in my 04 Civic I only have a new HU, new 2 way coax's up front, mono amp and sub.

Suffice to say, I miss my fully built system. The Subie's sound def has more bass and not enough mids/ highs. I'm thinking throwing some decent 2 or 3 ways in the front doors since I don't care about the rear passengers ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Maybe you can add an EQ to help manipulate the uneven frequency response if aftermarket speakers are difficult to find. The oem system has way too much mid-bass. It makes it sound boomy and droan at times which muddies up the mid-range. There is a site that makes custom adaptors for subaru door speakers. Might want to do a NASIOC search. That's one thing I wish Subaru would have done was put in a good audio system. Or at least make it so we can upgrade it easier (RCA jacks on the back of the unit).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking through some online parts catalogs, they don't identify any make model. However, they do list 2 different parts for w/ or w/o premium audio. The premium speakers are actually $42 each and the w/o they are $38 so there must actually be some difference. I'd wager the non-premium are standard paper woofers and the premium are some sort of slightly harder material...that was basically the difference in Honda's premium vs. standard speakers.

If I had to guess, the speakers are probably OEM'd by Kenwood for Subaru since the navi system is made by Kenwood too. Most manufacturers use the same OEM for both the stereo and speakers.

It's too bad Subaru didn't tap Eclipse for their OEM stereos considering Eclipse is owned by Fujitsu Ten and makes some excellent navi HUs and speakers.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe the standard speakers are paper cone and the premium are polypropelene cones. The poly cones would be stiffer than the paper for a cleaner tighter mid-bass and bass. I think my wifes standard audio package in her 06 Legacy sounds better than my premium in my B9. Paper drivers aren't always bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is there a speaker in the cargo area, on the passenger side? To me, it looks like a speaker, maybe a subwoofer?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaycee said:
Is there a speaker in the cargo area, on the passenger side? To me, it looks like a speaker, maybe a subwoofer?
On the Limited models that is the subwoofer which can hardly sub-woof:lol:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
snork said:
On the Limited models that is the subwoofer which can hardly sub-woof:lol:
Yeah our LTD has the sub, but I've put my ear against it and didn't hear/ feel anything. I'm debating about taking it back to the dealer to have it replaced. I'll get it done once it gets warmer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Subie sound fix

Not positive that this solution applies here or that is even viable yet, but replacing the head unit (radio unit) in my 06 Legacy "fixed" the horrid sound these cars seemed plauged with, without touching the factory speakers....Ended up with an amp, sub and HD Radio by the time I traded it in for my new Tribeca (while still using the six factory speakers it came with), now if only I could stuff all that in the Tribeca somewhere...??? :confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

I am picking up my beca next week, but with also owning a imprez I know the sound in the subareas is lacking.

Does anyone kow what size the standard speakers are in the doors etc.

I will be getting a UK spec SE7 with Nav and DVD.

I have just removed my JL audio clean sweep from my xc90, but the speakers in that were really good, dynaudio componets as standard.

Thanso form the help from the orther side of the pond

Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
hawker800mech said:
I believe the standard speakers are paper cone and the premium are polypropelene cones. The poly cones would be stiffer than the paper for a cleaner tighter mid-bass and bass. I think my wifes standard audio package in her 06 Legacy sounds better than my premium in my B9. Paper drivers aren't always bad.
What is the wattage of the amp for the subwoofer and how big is the woofer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Magic Marker said:
Yeah our LTD has the sub, but I've put my ear against it and didn't hear/ feel anything. I'm debating about taking it back to the dealer to have it replaced. I'll get it done once it gets warmer.
I did and the Subaru Dealer "Van Bortel" said the sub was unplugged and the adjusted the gains. So apparently the can be done so on Monday I will find out how so I can do it my self. She said it should make a big difference.

I will be putting a JLAudio Cleansweep in and Amp b/c the stock amps are not clean nor powerful enough and see how that goes before spending any more $.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking about upgrading speakers all the way around and then mounting an amp under the back seat and then getting a JL PowerWedge that I can easily remove from the rear of the Tribeca. I have the factory sub but it doesn't do anything for me. Any thoughts?

Here's a link to the JL PowerWedge...
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_enclosures_pages.php?menu=9&page_id=26

1 - 20 of 24 Posts