Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the average price you guys have paid to get your spark plugs replaced on the Tribeca? After researching how to do it, I feel like I might be better off having someone experienced do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"IF" they will actually do it..... wouldn't it be so terrible if they will charge you $450 for something they did NOT do and tell you that they did it but they actually did NOT touch or did not even bother looking at it..... it happens....

notovich said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: $450:eek: :eek: :eek:
Normally S plugs changed as part of annual service:busted_cop: ?!?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My mechanic quoted me $450, said it was a '*****' to do and not to worry about it until 100k as they are Iridium, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have a 2006 and they needed replaced at 60,000.
One mechanic said no (because they were iridium). A Subaru Only shop said to absolutely do them at 60,000.
I took my car to the 1st guy (at 70,000) because he said he could do it for $399 (and so did a dealer) -Soobie Only shop wanted (gulp) $600.

Anyway, shop #1 (who said it wasn't needed till 100,000) said "They are iridium but they REALLY needed to be changed. I never saw an iridium plug like that with so little mileage."

For a complete diy description try here:
http://www.scoobymods.com/spark-plug-removal-t12294.html
If you join the forum, you can see pictures from the manual and from his install.
This is from an Outback, but he indicates it's the same process with more room...??True?? Everyone I talked to said it was a less-than-simple event.

·
Registered
191 Posts
changing plugs is no problem.

the access is tight on the one plug closest to the driver firewall. at 60,000 my plugs looked good to me..not much wear.So I felt like I changed them for no real good reason other than to just 'do it as part of the 60,000 mile service".

if your car is running fine with good gas mileage...wait for a nice day in the spring ..get a 6 pack of long neck buds.and give it a shot yourself. if you can change a tire ..you can change the plugs.... save the money for now..follow the advice of the first mechanic if you dont want to throw money away...

I glad I changed them at 60000 but I have no plans to change them again till at least 150,000.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Duncomatic said:
My mechanic quoted me $450, said it was a '*****' to do and not to worry about it until 100k as they are Iridium, sounds good to me.
its not a pain in the ass..he is just trying to justify his fee...dont let that talk scare you off....can you make $400 after tax on a saturday afternoon????

·
Registered
146 Posts
TribecaDean says only 1 plug is difficult. He's done it and I would have to defer to his judgement as he is the only one without any secondary gain (he wasn't getting anyone's money for changing them).

I will say this: If you aren't familiar with changing spark plugs, or if you aren't mechanically inclined, be sure to look at the DIY post cited above. Even then it isn't like other cars I've worked on, as you have to remove the coil packs from each plug area before pulling the plug. Again, the DIY post tells you how to do that.

As for the schedule of 60,000 miles, every other car I know of (with the iridium spark plugs) recommends 100,000+ miles. The Tribeca manual recommends 60,000. It probably depends on your driving habits. I bought mine used from a woman who mostly drove her kids around on short trips. I try to avoid driving it like that [email protected] 13mpg (max) on premium gasoline in town,not a good idea.

Some good news about Tribeca maintenance, you don't have to change the timing belt -it has a timing CHAIN. The only Subaru made without a timing belt.

·
Registered
837 Posts
^^not anymore on the belt. As far as the plugs go, I did it myself and wasn't too put off about it. It takes time and patience, and for what a dealer would charge, I could muster both. Make sure you get the iridiums to put back in so you don't short yourself on change intervals.

BTW the how to mentions removing the battery to gain more access, I left it in it only hinders your ability to get to the first plug and even then not too much. Also, I wouldn't be consuming alcohol and trying to change these plugs, too much dexterity involved. No need in making it a full weekend job. Grab some cokes until you get done, LOL! Then it's Miller time!

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just purchased a 2007 with 73000 miles on it, i was looking for the plugs yesterday, and dang if i can see them. are they under the small black cover running on the side of the motor. i changed the plugs on the 2009 outback i had and i dang near had to remove everything along side of the motor to get to them, not to mention tearing my hands to shreds. but oh what a difference a new set of plugs make. i also did not see plug wires, does the tribeca have them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced the plugs in the wife's 06 B9 last week. Didn't remove any panels or brackets to get to the plugs (only the skid plate underneath for access) since I change them from underneath. The front four you can get with patience and the right set of tools. The two closest to the cab are the pain (driver's is the most difficult). For the driver's side I had to remove the plug wire from the plug unit and then finagle the unit out to gain access to the spark plug itself.

$45, a good amount of patience, and some beat up hands later and you have a new set of plugs in!

PS... the routine is pretty much the same in my 06 Outback LLB. Nice to have the plugs done for a few years.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dan, I had no problem getting to them from above without removing anything but the engine cover and battery hold downs. It took time, but didn't beat up my hands at all. The coil packs are a pain to get off the back plugs but not too bad really.

I don't see how doing it from underneath would be better, but I have never tried it either. Maybe next time, LOL if I can remember.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.