Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am awaiting the results of a professional inspection to purchase a Tribeca. Our current cars are a 97 Impreza 'L' Wagon and a 98 Outback. So, going to a 2006, 7pass Limited Tribeca (with rear seat DVD) is a *huge* step up for us. Original MSRP was ~$34,000 and we will get it out the door for $17,250.
33k miles.

Is this a good deal? It seems to be but who knows. I've seen higher mileage ones even cheaper.

Can anyone give any insight on what to watch out for?
Shipping company versus fly & drive?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Another fresh Tribeca owner, who also already owns some Subies. Welcome!

I don't think you're too far off if it is in GREAT condition and has been well maintained. In Minnesota, I was close to getting what you are looking at (7 pass Ltd w/o the DVD) with 28,500 miles for 16,990. Actually, chances are I would have bought it but it was marked SOLD when we went to look at it, and got a call the day after we bought ours stating that it was for sale again after it's deal not going through. Oh well, we like ours as it is!

You are right: higher mileage ones go for less, but I think the majority of the '06's have around 30-40,000 miles. I saw one today that had 89,000! When you say out the door, does that mean before or without a trade-in?

Things to look out for: Front sway bar bushings being loose causing a "clunking" when turning and driving, A rough shifting tranny that can be reprogrammed to shift smoother, lower than expected gas mileage around town, and poor-performing stock wipers that go for around 19.00 installed at the dealership and only at the dealership. Anything I'm missing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

How does one reprogram the ECU to shift smoother?

We'll keep an eye out for the other problems.

I shouldn't have said 'out the door', it is just the sale price. I'm not doing any trade ins. I also am buying out of state so the tax/title/license will be added to that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I found this here in the Drivetrain section, and it is covered by the 5yr/60,000 powertrain warranty at a dealership, but is not a recall:
FYI: They performed a 860737 Reprogramming, Transmission Control Unit Module. FC: MJZ48
There is also discussion on all of the other things I mentioned here, too. Happy reading!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We did end up buying this, it is on it's way from Texas (almost here) and we should have it around midnight our time or if the driver is a weenie and wants to take a NAP after driving 40 hours, I guess tomorrow morning.

I'll post some pictures. Not that everyone here hasn't SEEN a Tribeca, but perhaps you can notice if it is actually in good condition or not, and tell me if I missed something glaring and got ripped off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts