Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was able to look into it today, found out the fan was not sitting properly I guess that was the reason it would sometimes turn on and sometimes it wouldn't. I also blasted air to it and boy did it have a lot of dust, added a bit of oil to lubricate it. Since it wasn't sitting properly it wobble so I figured I would smack it a little and test it out and surely enough it worked every single time.
Also the relay is located on the upper left of the assembly. One thing I did notice is that it has a resistor, I'm guessing that's for the winter time? But it didn't seem to work or blow hot air.
Removal of the cover was not difficult, I didn't have to remove the third row seats which isn't hard to do, but not necessary.

http://imgur.com/a/7GZCG

Hi everyone, my wife and I recently purchased a '10 Tribeca everything other the normal flaws work. We both are very happy our vehicle, but found an issue that I haven't figured out. The blower for the rear passenger doesn't work, or at least it did once or twice for about 2-3 hours then stopped working. Could this be caused by a relay? Or a fuse? I am confused because I can't seem to find the fuse for the blower? I checked both inside and under the hood, but the label is confusing.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
775 Posts
It might be possible that the blower fan in the rear would run only when AC is on, because there's no heater core in the back. Maybe not, but check the owner's manual to ascertain that there is a problem.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It might be possible that the blower fan in the rear would run only when AC is on, because there's no heater core in the back. Maybe not, but check the owner's manual to ascertain that there is a problem.
I am not sure why the blower is not working. I think you are on the right track with a fuse issue.

I can tell you it has nothing to do with A/C being on or off. The blower will work at any time.

I hate to bring up such an obvious question. You are aware of where the control for the blower is located, being on the back end of the center console? You do know it is not controlled from the front dash? Just thought I would ask.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The AC is on when tried it
I am not sure why the blower is not working. I think you are on the right track with a fuse issue.

I can tell you it has nothing to do with A/C being on or off. The blower will work at any time.

I hate to bring up such an obvious question. You are aware of where the control for the blower is located, being on the back end of the center console? You do know it is not controlled from the front dash? Just thought I would ask.
Yeah I have tried several speeds on the knob and nothing, it has only turned on twice while driving, but when I got to my destination and shut off the car and tried it again it stopped working. Although it did work once while trying to shut it off and turn it back on again. I guess I would have to mess around with the relay?

·
Registered
703 Posts
On the '07, unfortunately, the rear blower relay is not where one would expect - or want - it to be.... it's on the rear cooler unit, access to which requires removal of the LH rear quarter trim (and third row seat, if installed).

Of course, for your sake, I hope the '10MY has a modified HVAC design and/or relay location... otherwise, it's going to be a bit more tedious than simply popping a cover and swapping a relay/fuse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the '07, unfortunately, the rear blower relay is not where one would expect - or want - it to be.... it's on the rear cooler unit, access to which requires removal of the LH rear quarter trim (and third row seat, if installed).

Of course, for your sake, I hope the '10MY has a modified HVAC design and/or relay location... otherwise, it's going to be a bit more tedious than simply popping a cover and swapping a relay/fuse.
If you're talking about this one: http://parts.mikeshawsubaru.com/a/S...ONER-SYSTEM-REAR-COOLING-UNIT/W10-730-02.html
Then I guess it is located in the rear? Didn't even know about it, until you mentioned it

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I would suspect the knob itself as well. It appears to be a switchable resistor type, which are notorious failure points.

·
Registered
775 Posts
The resistor is also in the blower case, so it would be cooled by the flow. Anyhow, a thorough diagnosis is required before tearing into the darn thing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
So do you wish to share? I am glad you found the problem. What did you find?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Does the photo of the blower wheel indicate that the wheel was not sitting tight on the hub and moved axially, causing it to be in contact with the housing?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Seemed to be the problem, I have been testing every time I get a chance by turning the knob and it works every time. Before that it made more noise and it felt like it was rubbing on dust or rusty, it also made it wobble.
So yeah it works like new now with no problems.

·
Registered
703 Posts
To clarify, the resistor controls the speed of the fan, it does not heat the air. Also, the rear unit is cool-only... it is not intended for heat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts