Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 has a soft brake pedal. At a red light, with pressure on the brake, it slowly goes down almost to the floor. I've been driving, and working on cars for over 40 years, and this just does not seem right to me. I thought for sure that the master cylinder was leaking by. That's the classic symptom. So, having bought the extended warranty, I brought it to my local dealer and told them the problem. They checked it out, and told me this is normal. I insisted on checking other units on the lot, and they did the same thing. The service mgr told me that they went through this many times, and the central office said "we were chasing our tail with this. It's normal". I have never had a brake pedal go down so low without something being wrong.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
308 Posts
That doesn't sound right. Mine doesn't do that. The only thing I've noticed is that the first inch or so of travel gives you nothing, then the brakes begin to bite. From the bite point, I have a nice, progressive, firm pedal feel. It's just that first inch that's annoying.

I have not noticed the pedal sinking at all when holding the brakes at a stop. I'll have to try it next time I'm out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try doing it with the engine off. Pump the pedal several times to "drain" the booster. The pedal will get higher, then hold it down and see if it drops. If it seems to stay hard, try using light pressure again to see if it drops....If so, it is the seals in the master cyl are bypassing internally. It is not normal for a brake pedal to drop to the floor. Have you changed the fluid and bled it fully? Perhaps the fluid is contaminated with moisture?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts