Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
So got the starter issue sorted out....was ready to drive to muffler shop and address an exhaust issue...started it up....it shifts, but it won't move....stuck on the drive way. Not sure if I need to clear codes.....arghlll

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So, this epic journey has ended in defeat

Was all set to start up and go for a test drive. Started without issue.....exhaust was damn loud, but that was to be expected with flange issue.
Put in reverse...shifter moved without issue...didn't budge, put it in drive...nothing...put it in neutral....didn't roll back in the slightest...

At this point, I had to pass this along to the experts. Had it towed to a transmission shop that's highly recommended (will probably cost me an arm and a leg).
So, I want to thank everyone for their help, advice, guidance and patience. I've swamped this board with my blog of ineptitude......learned alot, bought alot of tools (which I may not ever be allowed to use) and actually had some fun. But it came at the cost of lots of time I could have used with my family, borrowing in-laws car, and some good ribbing from my friends.

Mechanic will be able to look at it on Monday and hopefully the diagnosis isn't terminal. This was my white whale.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm sorry! We have all had that experience at some point. I feel that's how I have learned. I hope it's something simple with the shifter link to the transmission!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Me too..me and my wallet are praying for that.
Still waiting for an open hoist at the tranny shop. Been sitting there since Friday...they said they would get to it for Wednesday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So the tranny shop finally got back to me (after the Tribeca waiting since last Friday)...They basically are going to order a new TC, do the job from beginning to end and not be detectives and see if its a simpler issue. It sucks, but it's towed to their place, given the work involved in changing a TC, they don't want to take everything apart, put it back together and then find out its a bad TC. Just got to swallow this loss, and hope at the end of the day they don't come back and say it's not the TC, its the transmission.....

·
Registered
16 Posts
What? I've just read 45 posts of this drama (twists and all), waiting to see the conclusion. I will say that, halfway through, I was thinking "if my torque converter has a problem, I'm taking it to the shop!". In my many years of Subaru ownership, I have replaced clutches, swapped out engines and transmissions, replaced axles and wheel bearings, fixed a blown head gasket in a motel parking lot....but this does not look like a job that I want to do. :) What was the final verdict?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
What? I've just read 45 posts of this drama (twists and all), waiting to see the conclusion. I will say that, halfway through, I was thinking "if my torque converter has a problem, I'm taking it to the shop!". In my many years of Subaru ownership, I have replaced clutches, swapped out engines and transmissions, replaced axles and wheel bearings, fixed a blown head gasket in a motel parking lot....but this does not look like a job that I want to do. :) What was the final verdict?
Ha, I've finally been able to come back to this.
The Tribeca is driving fine now. So, what was the issue in the end? The tranny shop said the new torque converter was the wrong one. THE WRONG ONE. CarID insisted it was correct, had a guy from Transtar confirm it should fit, but in the end the tranny shop took the old, got it rebuilt, and reinstalled everything back together. They took their patient sweet time getting to this job, but in the end they charged me less and the Tribeca has no more torque shudder.

Too much money to ship the faulty TC to CARID (i'm in Toronto). So, learned a painful lesson, but I still feel that I installed it correctly (yes, made tons of mistakes), but if I ever.........ever....had to do this job again...I would get the TC rebuilt instead of buying what was supposed to be the "redesigned" TC.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts