Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Sorry, that's a bummer. That's the pinch bolt you sheared off? Again, I don't use the pickle fork, I just use a large crowbar and pry down on the lower control arm. I always damage the seal around the ball joint with the pickle fork.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well we got one ball joint off and pulled the drive shaft out, but my buddy who was helping may have yanked it by accident.....feels a bit wobbly at the first elbow joint closest to the transmission seal. Still have the driver side ball joint holding and that sheared bolt to deal with.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So the tranny is almost off. Quck question...the bottom two tranny bolts ended up just being nuts and washers and the bolts were facing the opposite ways from all the other top bolts. I can't for the life of me find the bolt ends facing the other side (or if I would ever be able to reach them). Do these bottom two have to come completely out before the tranny can come off...or is it part of the process to back the tranny off of those two bolts even though they extrude past the housing.....I hope I described it correctly.

Please any tips would be extremely helpful at this point.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Also quick question on the engine....I notice as I lower the tranny, the engine is moving up. As I mentioned earlier, the subaru shop doesn't rent their special tools....is there a spot where I'm supposed to insert a rod or a piece of wood in the upper part of the engine?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
okay...tranny is off!...Had to run around becuase the oil shaft pump didn't come out with the torque converter. Figured out that tipping the tranny would do the job and the oil shaft came right out!.....but there was a broken Oring seal in the shaft.....and Subaru said the part not in until Wednesday...ARGGHH....such a small part and now can't move forward until Wednesday.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I wish I could find this little Oring on the subaru manual just to confirm where it goes...but there is a disconnect between what I see on my actual tranny versus what's in the manual. Here is a pic of the broken Oring (next to the oil shaft circlet that goes in the TC)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Now when I go to the Transmission, this is what I see:

The manual only shows a pic of the tranny from the bellhousing with no input shaft sticking out. I'm trying to determine where this Oring belongs. I hate to think I'm holding up putting everything back together when I'm not sure where this Oring fits or is needed.....

but the last thing i want to do is go through all this effort and then ruin it by ommiting such a small critical part.
Second question: That shaft that is protruding from the transmission......how much play should it have? I've seen on some other tranny videos there should be zero wiggling at all.....there is on this one. Is this another situation where I've gone through all this effort to get rid of the tranny shudder and at the end of the day it's this shaft thats been causing it.

Please tell me I don't need a tranny rebuild.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think you are in it deeper than I can help at this point. I would post over on subaruoutback.org. We have the same transmission as their H6.

Regarding the axle i wouldn't worry about having yanked on it. I've done that and it does extend Cv joint, but you can just push it back together. The risk is in tearing the boot. Unless he pulled it far enough that he popped out the metal retaining ring in the cup, in which case you will have to pull the boot off and reseat it all (look up CV reboot on here, subaruoutback.org or on legacygt.com)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
PS If you are worried about the health of the transmission, a low mileage transmission should be able to be found.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks Tdelker....I know I tend to panic here first and then solve things eventually. I fixed the cv axle on my own (at least it looks like its good.....and I have a new one coming as back up on Tuesday). My big issue at this point is waiting on a small O ring for the transmission input shaft. Holding up everything......but taking a break is a good thing. It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and have had two days of gorging with the family.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Wish me luck. Putting the tranny back up tomorrow and my second set of hands bailed on me. I will just have to go slower and take my time. My number one concern is seating the TC and then having it shift as I'm trying to realign with the engine (and dealing with those nasty guide bolts).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
TC is in and secured. Now just having a hell of a time getting the tranny mounted to the engine and into those bottom guide bolts. Darkness and rain ended my day today. Will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Tranny is up!...man what a PITA to put back on....never again....only could do it cause I had a second pair of hands.....Now I need to put everything back up, change two ball joints and deal with that sheared pinch bolt. Thank goodness I have a patient family.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got the front exhaust in...new resonator from Rock Auto bigger than connecting original cat pipe.....super scary trying to get torque bolts back to engine....can't see a thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Husky glad to see you are making progress, I am in the middle of the same project but can't seem to get my Torque converter to seat all the way. when yours was fully installed how flush was it with the housing of the transmission?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I knew I hit it when i got two solid thunks into place...it took around 5 minutes for me to hit, but that was probably one of the luckier moments I had in this. The manual said 0.31th of an inch.
Did you put some ATF in the TC and is the spring clip still propertly seated in the oil shaft?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So close.....can't seem to find the location where these two lines go? They sit in front of the throttle body (you can see my still non-connected starter below). Any tips would be mucho mucho appreciated for this weary guy. Thank you in advance.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts