Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sat on the fence for over a year now with the transmission shudder. Really gets bad during warm weather. Even though my 2008 Tribeca is showing her age, I'm not ready to purchase a new vehicle and want to get a few more years out of her. Dealership (in Canada) wanted $1200 Cad for a new torque converter. Various online subaru parts providers had it for around $520 - $550 US...still expensive in my books. Ended up ordering from the U.S. a re-manufactured torque converter for $300 (all in with $75 back if I ever return the old core). Might take a while to arrive.which will give me time to plan.

Picking up a transmission jack, reviewing the manual, and getting ready to tackle a job bigger than I've done before. (my preference is to drop the tranny instead of pulling the engine...I think that will be an easier route for someone of my limited skills. Of course nervous about a few items (rusted bolts, rusted exhaust parts, bad flanges, wish I could just buy all new exhaust components, but there is a reason I'm trying to save money. Also with the whole Covid situation, might not be able to get a second pair of hands to work with.

So yes, there is a risk if I screw up, I have a stranded vehicle on my one car driveway. There is also the danger that it's not the torque converter......it's the whole transmission...which I'll only find out after the fact....but c'est la vie.

I plan on taking my time, doing this safely, and having plenty of back up new bolts purchased in advance. Will be PB blasting like mad the day before. Already have a decent wrench, torque, ratchet collection....might need to go and buy a few more extension bits. The real tricky parts I"m worried about:
  1. reseating the TC...seen they can tricky and take multiple tries to get reseated back
  2. That little spring clip which can be tricky and easily damaged (might have 3 as back up)
  3. re-aligning the transmission back with the engine (never done that on my own)
  4. dealing with a negative nelly of a wife (who always brings up the time I tried fixing the washing machine on my own :)
  5. did I mention rusted, broken bolts....
So, I'm hoping this turn out. Still researching and planning on having this all meticulously thought out before proceeding.So having said that, any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Good luck! It's totally worth doing it yourself. But make sure that you take your time. Might try to just pull transmission back far enough to be able to get to the TC rather than drop the whole transmission. I haven't done that myself, but it is common when replacing a clutch on the Legacy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts