Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our first Soob...an '06 Tribeca...the dealer imported it from Buffalo...I complained about the brakes from the test drive; they let us pick it up (not a Soob dealer) without having done anything about the brakes; yes, soft and mushy; they wanted to replace the master cylinder, but are still struggling with the same issue; they've had it for a week now, trying to figure out what to do. If they will listen to me, is there anything I could suggest. Oh, and glad to find the site here.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Unfortunately, I think the "soft and mushy" brakes are the norm for this car. When I test drove ours, I commented to the sales guy before we even got out of the lot. He said others have said the same, that's just the way they are and that it's a quirk to get used too. Lame answer, but at least he was honest.

Others on this site have complained of this exact issue as well....I don't think replacing the master cylinder will do anything. If it really bothers you, stainless steel brake lines and a set of more performance oriented pads may help out.

Also, be sure to test out high speed braking on an empty road. The brakes are soft and mushy at low speed and when first applied at highway speed, but then they will bite hard once you get about 3/4 brake pedal travel which will also take some getting used to. Even my wife noticed the brakes were "odd" compared to her Legacy daily driver so you're not alone.

IMHO, I didn't buy this car for the "sporty" braking performance...if that's your biggest dissappoint, I wouldn't be too concerned. We bought out Tribeca, because it had/has arguably the best interior in its class for a price that can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yup, we have an 07 and I wouldn't say the brakes are mushy, but they also aren't that firm. I think you're ok with the way it is. Not sure if I would let a non-subie dealership tear into my B9.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the drama deepens! The dealership says that they have made a connection between the mush and the ABS part of the system; so they've ordered that part...and again waiting. Yah, I'm not really struck on the Non-Subaru part of my situation either, but right now, I'm not really sure what options I have. They have already sent my trade-in to the Toronto auction. As long as I'm not paying anything for all of this, I guess I'll just let things progress...and keep driving the rental. Ciao.

·
Registered
552 Posts
At least the brakes are a fairly "universal" application among different brands, there isn't much proprietary to a Subaru vehicle other than the ABS modulator. As long as you're not paying for it, they might as well have their go at it since you did just buy it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While its hard to diagnose a problem long distance, my experience with Subarus is that they typically have a soft brake pedal feel. This is normal for the vehicle and you will get used to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys i'm new :). I have an 08 loaded subaru tribeca and right now mine's in the shop i had my breaks fail once thank god i was just pulling into my driveway and was going slow. They kicked in after the 2nd time i slammed on my breaks. Then there was this clunking sound when i would hit the breaks and come to a stop :(. Sad without my tribeca and was given a 2010 forester as a loaner :( doesn't hold a flame to the tribeca. I did notice the breaks in the forester were a little better than the tribeca but I still love my tribeca. Also traded in my 05 honda s2000 for a subie because my husband loves subie's and has the new 09 wrx. Signed, Missing my tribeca in NC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts