Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the manual says no chains because of insufficient clearance and that subies rarely require chains, however I want to have a set with me during skiing trips because:
a) just in case
b) in CA you must have them, at least in the trunk, when driving in snow regardless of drivetrain type
c) stock Goodyear Eagle LS2's thread pattern doesn't look capable of good snow traction, tirerack reviews support that theory; swapping tires for occasional snow trips is not practical

Anyone ever used snow chains on a Tribeca? There are low-clearance cable chains, like Z6 by SCC, will these work on Tribeca? Should only 2 wheels be chained or all 4?

·
449 Posts
go with the Z6 SCC cables. I've used them and they work well in an emergency situation. They will also clear the wheel well and not damage anything when installed properly. Like anything you put on your wheels you need to stay below 30MPH when they are on. You are not going to want to go faster anyway trust me, your fillings may fall out ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely, I also have a Legacy and based on my snow driving experience I'd imagine conditions must be pretty bad for fast driving before I'd want to put the chains on. Thanks for sharing, I have Z6s on order.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm reading this topic because I'll drive in 2 days to Lake Tahoe. On the tribeca (like all subies) do I have to buy 2 or 4 Z6 SCC ? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
JapanLio said:
I'm reading this topic because I'll drive in 2 days to Lake Tahoe. On the tribeca (like all subies) do I have to buy 2 or 4 Z6 SCC ? Thanks for your help.
From the owner's manual, under Driving Tips:

"Tire chains should always be placed on the front wheels only."

Keep in mind that CHP will likely close the roads long before you will need to put chains on your Subaru, if you have good tires of course. Just keep them in the trunk to present at a check-point should they decide to ask (unlikely).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, 2 sets because of the All wheel Drve functions. Every tire needs to be synchronized so it doesn't screw up the AWD processing capabilities and components.

I just recommended Snow Socks to someone else on this thread.which are are used extensively in the US and Europe. I bought 2 sets and will try them out this year. Google it.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts