Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a trans change and would like to know if anyone could tell me the size of the "star" head on the transmission bolt. Also it is recommended to get a gasket. If I'm going to be doing a 3×3 change in the next couple of weeks would I need to keep changing out the gasket?
Thx

·
Registered
746 Posts
The plug head is TP50 and it was reported that 8 mm Allen works also. You won't get a big leak by keeping an old gasket. The hole size is 18 mm, just in case.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. Thank you. I bought a full T set today and the t50 is on it. I'll be starting this tomorrow. Then over the next few days changing it all out. Then moving onto the differentials.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Please note that the driver type is "Torx Plus". A regular Torx might strip the head. I bought a TP50 bit, but other folks did fine with 8 mm hex. Torx Plus is kind of like regular hex with the sides curved in

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about the rear diff? I used a t -70 for the front according to the manual however the rear is a bit dfferent. I was a letter to break the bottom loose with a t- 55 but the top def is so on there and i dont want to strip it. Look's like it maybe SOME KIND OF MM socket. I was able to drain the front rather easily.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The plugs in the rear differential have 10 mm plain hexagon heads, even though the plug thread is 18 mm, same as in the transmission pan. So the diff. plugs are identical to the transmission plug except for the driver bit they take.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts