Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tribeca Limited Special Edition
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a set of Forged light weight Signature SV104 in Black Chrome that I want to use with special spacers to get the correct lug spacing. These wheels were for my Porsche with off sets of 47mm f and 35mm r. I intend to buy special wheels spacers that fit both the Tribeca lug spacing and the Porsche spacing as well as pushing the wheels out additionally about 10mm from the offsets.
I am concerned that the overall running diameter of the tires will be slightly different from front to rear causing the Plantary torque converter LSD to overheat and fail. I could have my tire shop actually do a roll test of both the front tire on 9 inch wheel and rear tire installed on 10 inch wheels to see if they are actually different. If so, then I will put my slicks back on them for track use later this summer.
Which wheel would look best on my white 07 B9

Let me know your thoughts.
Wheel Automotive tire Automotive design Alloy wheel Tread

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

or Titan 7 TS 5's, 9 in wide 46mm offset 18 in f and 10 in wide and 35mm offset 18 r.

Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
814 Posts
The rims in the top pic. This is only my opinion though. I would just do what works and what you like. I have no idea what will work on this vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those rims will fit with a spacer/adapter maybe 10mm wide. The downside is the rims are 9 in wide f and 10 in wide rear. If that width difference will effect the rolling distance of the tires front to rear, then I could not use this set as it would case the torque converter to go nuts after a while as the fronts would be turning at one speed and the rear would be turning at another. I can have my tire shop do a rolling test to make sure they roll the same distance. Then I will have a forged light weight chrome powder coated wheel set. No need to look for WRX/STI wheels.

·
V6er Version 2
Facelift (EZ36D, 5EAT TG5D), MY2008, 7seat Limited (no DVD, no NAVI)
415 Posts
let me explain to you how power flow is happening in transmission (in tribeca):
1) engine goes round and round and round(creating torque).
2) engine is connected to flexplate, which is connected to torque converter.
3) after torque converter - magic is happening torque converter looks like this - Torque Converter & Converter Case - 2008 Subaru Tribeca (there are minor differences between pre/facelift, but... omit them for now).
4) after magic has happened - there is CENTRAL differential which "divides" this rotating motion(flow) into two rotating motions - for FRONT and for REAR. I think you meant "central differential",
central diff looks like this - Automatic Transmission Transfer & Extension - 2008 Subaru Tribeca
5) so, while in theory, 3 differential setups allow for differences in circumferences(let's not go into deeper details why your wish is just "looking for trouble") - in harsh reality - it will pretty soon be toasted.

p.s. this caught my attention recently:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, not interested in the VW system. 06b9beca can put it in his ridiculously slow 50+ MPG wagon. Just not my thing. I think for an uncomplicated LSD the Wavetrac is fantastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.