Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Should Sport/Manual Mode be switched on/off during driving?

7K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  FLsubies 
#1 ·
I'm a new user to tribeca, so maybe the question's naive.

I should change to sport/manual mode back and forth during driving or when standstill?

I cannot find the answer in the manual book so ask here.

And what are the situations I should transit the tranny to those modes?

Many thanks.

#3 ·
taller said:
I'm a new user to tribeca, so maybe the question's naive.

I should change to sport/manual mode back and forth during driving or when standstill?

I cannot find the answer in the manual book so ask here.

And what are the situations I should transit the tranny to those modes?

Many thanks.
During driving i think, to get the feel of a manual transmission, sport mode i like to use around corners and uphill, and passing, and i manual mode i never really use but i would say use it when you want to, maybe around town..or on a highway accelerating?

#7 ·
The only time I've found the sport mode useful is on long hills and when accelerating onto on-ramps...as the 06/07 trannies like to hunt for gears otherwise.

I've only used the manual mode a handful of times, it's more novelty than useful:eek: The only time I've used it purposefully was in the winter, I live on a steep hill (~10% grade) and I manually put it in 1st gear when going down when it's snowy/icy for the added engine braking drag.

#11 ·
Senis said:
I try to use it and I don't know. Feels the same if you hit acceleration hard. Get real - it's not manual... and Beca is not drag car.
I need to find out the 0-60 speed of the 3.6 L BECA.

I think I can smoke my wife driving the Beca with my bohimoth 5.7L toyota Tundra truck, I GET 6.5 SECONDS to the 0-60. Neighbor gets 5 flat with his supercharged 5.7 motor Tundra (for an extra 5,000 dollars for the supercharger I'll stick to 6.5 seconds, fast enough for me).

Handling, the beca beats the truck, until I can get rear sway bar.

#19 ·
For short trips I tow in sport for the extra rpm and firmness. On the highway use sport to get up to speed and switch back to drive for fuel economy.

If you can't tell the difference between sport and drive, you need your senses tested. It's pretty substantial difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.