Shops suck?

• No sir-ree

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is why I only do my own car maintenance. People are slimy, careless, lazy, or stoopid.

I had these 225 Tires on for about 40k miles. Because of a curb swipe on the sidewall, I just decided to replace all 4 tires rather than worry about that one weakspot that hit a curb pretty bad. In picking out new tires today, I noticed that the 225s on my car were not the 255 that are supposed to be on them.

I do know the maintenance history, and am aware that someone took this car into a corner national chain, do it all shop, and they did new tires at the time.... I feel bad they took advantage of the situation, they must have been out of stock of the proper tire, but wanted the sale is my guess.

I'm just thankful I had a safe 40k miles. I ran the calculator and saw that I was off by 13% on the width...
Brown Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Bumper Tire Automotive tire

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
This is why I use a harbor freight manual tire changer and plasti-dip my rims as to avoid pimply faced kids touching my wheels and rims.

Reactions: Flat6er

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
I wonder if you needlessly added 13% incorrect miles to your odometer due to their "error".

EDIT: The effective difference would be the delta between 55% of 255 mm and 55% of 225 mm but that is still something.

Reactions: R3G R3G

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wonder if you needlessly added 13% incorrect miles to your odometer due to their "error".
So the speedometer was only 5% off, and over 40k miles that comes out to 2k extra miles!

The 13% is the tire width amount that needed to be stretched.

I had pep boys put on 4 new Cooper Adventurer last night. The Tribeca has a noticeably better stance. The tires and wheels look properly sized. $690 installed and out the door with hazard warranty (which I have cashed in on before) for those looking for pricing reference. That was better than I could do searching around (tire rack was 900-1050$ by the time I got them installed)

This Joe Biden supply shortage / inflation certainly raised the costs on me. High mileage commuter cars didn't used to be so expensive.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
So the speedometer was only 5% off, and over 40k miles that comes out to 2k extra miles!

The 13% is the tire width amount that needed to be stretched.

I had pep boys put on 4 new Cooper Adventurer last night. The Tribeca has a noticeably better stance. The tires and wheels look properly sized. $690 installed and out the door with hazard warranty (which I have cashed in on before) for those looking for pricing reference. That was better than I could do searching around (tire rack was 900-1050$ by the time I got them installed)

This Joe Biden supply shortage / inflation certainly raised the costs on me. High mileage commuter cars didn't used to be so expensive.
Yes, I corrected my previous post. I didn't get into the math since it wasn't mine and we will both live....BUT 5% is still a bit.

·
Administrator
06 B9 Tribeca
805 Posts
How do you balance your tires?
I use the Harbor Freight bubble balancer. Yes, the type where they lie to us and tell us that everyone's dental fillings fell out before the dynamic balancer took it's place so that shops could make more money more quickly.

I use this methodology as well. Sure, I get OCD on it and it takes longer than sitting at a shop eating doughnuts and drinking coffee, but the results have been amazing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts