Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just decided not to extend my warranty (2006 model) and now the driver's seat heater is staying on permanently, regardless of the setting, and despite the button lights indicating that it is "off." That really burns my, well, you know.

I pulled the fuse minutes ago, so hopefully that will stop the seat from heating up when I use the car again in the morning, but where do I go from here?

Any idea of the cause?
Will it be expensive to fix?
Is it something I might easily fix myself?
Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it?
Is it indicative of another/larger problem?
What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Also, is there a drawback to leaving the fuse out and considering the problem solved? (I live in Florida afterall.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
With this kind of thing, the most reliable way to test is with a multimeter and about two hours crawling around through the car :)

The part that's most likely to fail is the switch itself, as it's the part that gets the most touching. If it were me, I'd start by asking the dealer to order me a new switch, wire that up myself, and see if it doesn't fix the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
It is the same speed as the sword cutting off your leg that you claim only to be a flesh wound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
My guess would be the switch has shorted out as well. The sucky part is that the seat heater buttons looks to be built into the radio/HVAC panel:( I'm not sure that there is a separate component that can just be swapped out.

As far as just leaving the fuse out, that is a viable option. Just cutting off power to the seat heater is no biggie. Even if the switch is shorted, it shouldn't effect anything else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I did the aux-in mod a couple weeks ago, and I don't remember looking at the back of the switch at all. Do you feel comfortable taking your dash apart? Look for kmartin's directions for the aux-in mod for great step-by-step directions and photos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I seem to remember someone else having a similar problem but I can't find the thread here or elsewhere. If I remember it correctly, it may have had something to do with the element in the seat itself shorting out somehow (liquid spilled, or metal object stuck under seat, or something crazy like that). Anyone else recall this? Don't want to steer you wrong...

-Karen in AZ-

PS: if you need the dash/radio instructions, it's here:
http://members.cox.net/kamartin/AuxInstall.pdf
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,246 Posts
kmartin said:
I seem to remember someone else having a similar problem but I can't find the thread here or elsewhere. If I remember it correctly, it may have had something to do with the element in the seat itself shorting out somehow (liquid spilled, or metal object stuck under seat, or something crazy like that). Anyone else recall this? Don't want to steer you wrong...

-Karen in AZ-

PS: if you need the dash/radio instructions, it's here:
http://members.cox.net/kamartin/AuxInstall.pdf
Hmm, that sound familiar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I drive a 2006 Tribeca - just had to have the radio/HVAC panel replaced due to HVAC controls not working. Fortunately, it crapped out right before my extended warranty expired because the invoice read $1400. Not sure if this was just for the part or for labour too. Had problems getting the part as well - took about 3 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
midnightsunshine said:
I drive a 2006 Tribeca - just had to have the radio/HVAC panel replaced due to HVAC controls not working. Fortunately, it crapped out right before my extended warranty expired because the invoice read $1400. Not sure if this was just for the part or for labour too. Had problems getting the part as well - took about 3 weeks.
That's probably about right, I believe the radio/HVAC panel alone is $600-700:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
TampaTribeca said:
I just decided not to extend my warranty (2006 model) and now the driver's seat heater is staying on permanently, regardless of the setting, and despite the button lights indicating that it is "off." That really burns my, well, you know.

I pulled the fuse minutes ago, so hopefully that will stop the seat from heating up when I use the car again in the morning, but where do I go from here?

Any idea of the cause?
More then likely it's the switch

Will it be expensive to fix?
Could be, will depend on:
A) What the actual problem is
B) If you do the work yourself or pay someone to do it
and/or
C) What your definition of "expensive" is

Is it something I might easily fix myself?
This would likely depend on what the problem actually is and how handy/mechanically inclined you are

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you deal with it?
Not sure if anyone else has had the problem or not, but if it were me and I lived in Fl, I'd likely just leave the fuse out and not worry about it as long as it isn't needed for anything else (*see below)

Is it indicative of another/larger problem?
If it isn't the switch it could be indicative of other problems

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
African or European Swallow?

Also, is there a drawback to leaving the fuse out and considering the problem solved? (I live in Florida afterall.)
*As long as the same fuse isn't used for anything else, there shouldn't be any issues with leaving it out
.....
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top