Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To rustproof or not? That is the question...

I live in Ontario, Canada. I heard debates that vehicles are already protected at the factory and rustproofing is not necessary. What are peoples opinions... And if good to do, any preferences at places or types of rustproofing to look for?

Thanks,
mwoo68

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Live in Ontario too and have opted for Krown. From what I have read, it is an effective treatment. Regardless of what manufacturers claim to have already done, in the end when it rusts out do you want to have non-factory paint even if the work is done under warranty? Its $120 a year so its not huge investment even if it doesn't add any protection. It will not void the manufacturers warranty either, depsite what some dealers may claim.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I don't live in Canada, so rust/snow salt aren't as big of an issue here in the US, but what is this Krown system that costs $120 PER YEAR? Never heard of it.

All the aftermarket rust inhibitors I've seen are usually a 1 time application to the underbody.

Also FWIW, IMHO...the only rust protection worth paying extra for would be to the UNDERSIDE of the car which is prone to rock chips/road grime. Modern body panels are factory galvanized on both sides and rust protected before painting. Best rust protection for the body is to keep the car washed and waxed (even in the winter time, which I realize is easier said than done in Cananda). Every year I try to wait as long as possible into November and give all my cars a good wash and heavy coating of wax for the winter time. And when I go to the car wash in the winter time, I opt for the underbody wash option too which usually costs extra.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Krown is an annual application of an oil-like substance but its not oil according to the manufacturer, http://www.krown.com/#default. I too follow a washing and waxing routine especially in the winter. I am looking for as much protection as I can reasonably afford. Southern Ontario winters are brutal in terms of rust conditions, tons and tons of salt, extreme changes in termperature from 40F+ to -20F+ along with rain provide ideal rusting conditions.

Several respected organizations endorse the Krown product including the APA, Automobile Protection Association, a Canadian not-for profit group. See
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=11

This is the first vehicle I have Krown-ed so I don't have personal experience with the product. If I don't get rust will it be as a result of the Krown or the Subie manufacturing approach? I hope I have that conundrum to contemplate!

snork said:
I don't live in Canada, so rust/snow salt aren't as big of an issue here in the US, but what is this Krown system that costs $120 PER YEAR? Never heard of it.

All the aftermarket rust inhibitors I've seen are usually a 1 time application to the underbody.

Also FWIW, IMHO...the only rust protection worth paying extra for would be to the UNDERSIDE of the car which is prone to rock chips/road grime. Modern body panels are factory galvanized on both sides and rust protected before painting. Best rust protection for the body is to keep the car washed and waxed (even in the winter time, which I realize is easier said than done in Cananda). Every year I try to wait as long as possible into November and give all my cars a good wash and heavy coating of wax for the winter time. And when I go to the car wash in the winter time, I opt for the underbody wash option too which usually costs extra.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hmm...that's a pretty interesting product. I see they're in Canada only. Surprised no one has brought it to the US. I know in the northern states and Rocky Mountain states they could probably do plenty of business.

Also, even though all modern cars are factory treated for rust protection (all US models that I know of come with at least 60 month corrosion warranties) doesn't mean it won't rust. I know for a fact on my Tribeca I had a small rock chip on my front fender that did show rust before fixed it up:(

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm about to go the DIY route on a Tacoma I'm picking up this weekend (so sad to be trading my WRX in, but I need the truck.) I'll let you know what I use for a product and what my results are.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You might consider a product called Fluid Film. It is very popular on the 4x4 forums. You can order it from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com). You'll need the product number, which is: 12055K74

It's about $5 a can. I'm guessing 3 cans would be plenty to do the underbody of the Tribeca.

I've never used it (but do have some on order), so I really can't say anything more than this about it...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mwoo68 said:
To rustproof or not? That is the question...

I live in Ontario, Canada. I heard debates that vehicles are already protected at the factory and rustproofing is not necessary. What are peoples opinions... And if good to do, any preferences at places or types of rustproofing to look for?

Thanks,
mwoo68
I've decided to rustproof next season and go "bare" this winter. My other car is a acura 1.6el, I had it initially rustproofed with something that was a little thicker and you could see it adhere (someone referred me there). To maintain its warranty, annual checkups were necessary, but I never went back. It's 12 years later and not a bit of rust. Was it the one time rustproofing application that helped? Was it the two time per year application of "Liquid Glass"? Was it because its a Acura (Honda)? Who knows, but I take car of my cars probably what an average joe would do and so far so good. If my Tribeca can give me similar service like my Acura did, I'd be happy.

thanks all for feedback. Next summer when I'm ready to do the rustproof, I'll try the Krown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts