Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I signed up here back in December... https://www.sb9t.com/forums/8-new-member-introductions/4740-hello-ny.html

When I went to have my Tribeca inspected I had my mechanic put it on the lift to see what coolant lines/tubes were rotted and needed to be ordered. He just did a quick look with a flashlight and when inquiring from Subaru about what parts to order he was told that 2 of the tubes are attached and are part of upper oil pan... I'm assuming now that these tubes carry oil and not coolant as I had originally thought.

The tubes haven't rotted through yet but I'm anticipating that they will if I leave them as is or maybe if I try and clean off the rot to maybe por15 and paint that they will if they are too far gone and will start leaking. Rather than changing the upper pan, is there an alternative fix for this like welding new tubes on or something?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
People typically cut off the rusted part and attached tube to what is left, as usually there is enough of a nub to get hose on there. If not, as you say, either weld something in or replace the entire part.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I take that these are not HIGH pressure lines?
Would you happen to know if oil runs through these lines is it coolant? Just wanted to know if oil or coolant needed to be drained before disconnecting.

·
Registered
738 Posts
These are coolant pipes for connecting bypass hoses. They sit behind the thermostat flange and the opening towards the front connects to the water pump. So there's 13 psi max which is what the radiator cap is rated for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts