Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Attached below are the pictures of my 07B9 alternator. All of the assembly bolts (the ones that were used to put AC compressor together) are completely rusted on our brand new car. According to the pictures of other people engine compartments that I saw here and elsewhere, this does not appear to be a defect that is limited to this particular vehicle. The part in question is marked Denso, which AFAIK used to be a reputable parts manufacturer. I can only surmise that whatever chinese forced labor camp that the assembly was outsourced to has used a lower grade of bolts than stainless. Has anyone here brought this to Subaru's attention and if so, what was the response?

texan

Standard Disclamer
Not being a mechanical engineer I would not attempt to predict the longevity of the stressed mechanical piece that held together with rust. I would simply state that this is the first car in my posession (and I've owned a few) that has this particular "feature"

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would drop the reference to labor camp and then forward this to SOA. As you know, I asked my dealer about this and dealer's response was "we see it alot on new Subarus". Take it for whatever it is worth. They sprayed bolt heads on mine B9 with some rust preventing spray as good will action.

If you actually look on the side of the compressor, you'll find out that bolts are not the only rusted part on the AC. There is some sort of metal ring/plate/whatever you want to call it between front and middle part of the AC that is also rusted bad (at least on my B9).

Picture below illustrates the location, it's under plastic part on top.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SubOperator said:
There is some sort of metal ring/plate/whatever you want to call it between front and middle part of the AC that is also rusted bad (at least on my B9).

Picture below illustrates the location, it's under plastic part on top.
Confirmed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update,

According to the service advisor at the local dealership, all of the Tribecas on the lot have rusted AC bolts. Thus replacing the AC unit with the brand new one would be of no use, as the replacement would rust as quickly as the original. Bummer. I have contacted SoNA about this and will keep you updated.

Any 06 owners here care to chime in ? Is this only a 07 problem or are 06 affected as well?

texan

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update,

registered a case with SoNA. Brought the car in for "official" inspection. I hope I sufficiently covered myself for when the unit would fail out of warranty -- and I believe it eventually would when the bolts rust through. The service manager said he would contact the regional manager about this and promised to update me with the status. In the meantime I've checked the 08 Tribeca inside the showroom and it was allready beginning to show tiny spots of rust on those bolts.

So far I've had pretty good rapport with the local dealer. They were pretty cool about this. Shame on you Subaru though, for not paying attention to the quality of your suppliers.

Any 06 B9 owners that would care to chime in with the status of their Tribecas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts