Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I bought it it takes a couple of turns before starting...Cold or hot, winter at -20 or summer +40... Changed the spark plugs, the battery was tested and was ok... Any suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Rough start or slow start?

My car always has a slow start. Takes longer on holding the key to start for it to catch. I have gotten used to it, and don't notice it any more. No problem if it is a slow start assuming it's a 'new to you' car.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A sensor 'not working' will result in a code.

It could in theory be giving some slightly wrong data, but like I said, I think it is just a 'getting used to it' situation, assuming it's not actually rough.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no check engine light on or other lights in dash... The battery is ok, as well as the starter, it turns with no hesitation, it's just like the ''sparks are coming later'' or no pressure in the gas lines... How do I check the gas line pressure?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You will need a fuel pressure gauge (your local auto parts store probably has one you can borrow for a nominal fee)

You will need to release the pressure onthe line
1. Remove the fuse of fuel pump from main fuse box.

2. Start the engine and run until it stalls.

3. After the engine stalls, crank it for five more seconds.

4. Turn the ignition switch to OFF.

Disconnect fuel pipes leading to engine
Put fuel pressure gauge on both
Put the relay back
Start the car

PSI 43.5 is standard, once it gets into the 79.8 — 123.3 psi range the pump will shut off

Use bucket to catch fluid when you take the pressure checks off

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Totally normal. Same as mine for the last 100k miles.

1500 rpm is the emissions systems warm up period to reduce emissions. It settles out after a few minutes to 800 rpm ish for me.

Why do you cycle the key so many times? I don't understand the logic behind that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Totally normal. Same as mine for the last 100k miles.

1500 rpm is the emissions systems warm up period to reduce emissions. It settles out after a few minutes to 800 rpm ish for me.

Why do you cycle the key so many times? I don't understand the logic behind that.
The logic behind cycling the key is to get pressure into the fuel line if, there is a drop in a 24 h rest... The car was started last time, one day before.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In the video it started in 1 second or less. What is your concern?

Clean battery posts
clean battery terminals at the battery post mating surface
Make sure terminals are tight.

See if it starts more to your liking with jumper pack/cables.
Well, with my job I get to switch or drive a lot of cars during a week.. The majority starts without hesitating, cause that's the feeling that Tribeca gives me.
Like you said, I should get the battery from my second car and put them together to see how it goes...

P.S. Terminals clean and tight

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It even worst, and I'll tape it also, when it's hot. Let's say spirited drive for 20 minutes, stop to buy something, then try to start, well, then it's like a struggle...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally some improvements: a couple of weeks ago, the battery died, and I replaced with the one (bigger) that I had in my 3.0 Accord. At that point I've noticed faster start only after a couple of turns. Lately, I was using 91 octane gas, and wow, starts in a fraction....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts