Subaru B9 Tribeca SUV Forum banner

Rockier Tires?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kooldak 
#1 ·
I'm about to purchase a new 'beca (if the dealer can locate the vehicle of my choice) and believe that I might need different tires than the Goodyear Eagle LS2. Mostly on road, but I do a bit of 'off road' driving on some rocky roads as well. With a temporary spare, I'm looking for rubber that's a bit more trustworthy against the rocks. Something with a bit more edge than the stockers, but still a quiet and smooth handling road tire.

What's out there in a 255/55 R18? Any suggestions? I've been through TireRack a number of times, but the tire of my dreams isn't coming up.

I think there is a Michelin 4X4 XPS or XPC in our size. And the Touareg wears the same size shoes and Dunlop Grandtrek ST8000's- but they dont' get great reviews.

The General Grabber AT2 seems too aggressive, and doesn't get great reviews. Not sure about the Nittos Terra Grappler, which also seems aggressive looking.

Anybody? Anybody? thanks in advance-

#2 · (Edited)
morey000 -

I literally live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico (just 7 miles from the Colorado border at 8000 ft.) and travel extensively on gravel roads. Some are pretty rough and pretty rocky. The stock tire haves (surprisingly) fared quite well. Like you, I was concerned so I tried to find a decent substitution. But...

As you have already found out, it ain't easy finding a GOOD tire in the size we need that is suitable for dual use and handles snow/mud decently. :D

So failing to find a good tire, I chose to see how the factory tires managed the terrain up here. So far, so good. They handle the gravel roads just fine and did suprisingly well in the mud. Fording rivers with slippery rocks has gone well also. Now I only have snow left to deal with.

Unless they fail to handle snow, I plan to stick with the Eagles. I can't find a better choice anywhere.

FWIW.

#4 ·
I have the stock tires on my wifes B9 and I have over 22k on the tires. I also live in the mountains in washington, last winter going over the passes to yakima I had no problems with sliding or even loosing traction on accelleration.When these tires wear I plan on replacing them with the same tires.

#5 ·
morey000 said:
Northern NM is pretty country. Great skiing and beautiful roads. (er... the paved ones that I've been on). Keep us posted on how the snow driving goes.
You're right, this is gorgeous country. Most people think "desert" when they hear NM, but this is quite different. Pine trees, creeks, rivers, mountains, etc. We love it here.

And I'll be sure to post when I have some winter experience. jlcunlimited's post above is very encouraging.

#7 ·
ed@konceptracing.com said:
wow i wished i lived where you guys are. here in houston, its flat, humid, and the traffic is congested. i am envious. but here, we have great food, people are nice, and i fit in just right b/c houston is one of the fatest cities in the us.
I moved up here 6+ years ago from New Orleans, another flat, humid city with great food. I spent a lot of time in Houston as my company had a satellite office there that I had to visit several times a month. Pretty neat city. I always enjoyed my stay there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.