Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't plan on digging around looking to disable the DRL's until someone more knowledgable then I posts a DIY on it. I ordered some Nokya Artic White bulbs. According to the package, it simulates 7K HID's. I installed them today and it was fairly straight forward. You have to remove the battery tie down and move the battery to the side in order to do the driver side.

Like Peaty said in his How To, it's all done by feel and almost no visability.

Back on topic:
They look great and give off a white/ blue effect. They definitly look like HID's from the outside. The bad: I sacrificed some light output/ visibility. It's ok, but not as bright as stock. I'm going to run them until they burn out and then try the Cosmic Whites which simulate 5K HID's. I have them in my Civic and the light output is very good.

I'll review the Artic White H3's once I get a chance to install them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trev0006 said:
do these last a long time, my other white lights lasted only 6 months.
Well, the lights are still working.....So I guess it's been officially one year and three months since my original install. They haven't burned out yet. I kinda wish they would so I can try something different, but I guess I should be happy they've lasted this long especially since they are also the DRL's.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised they lasted this long too. I had Sylvania SilverStars in my Accord. They're not bluish...more pure white and very bright....but I went through 5 of them in 4 months!:censored: :eek: :mad: They did make a real difference and noticeable difference in light output but I was finally so disgusted with them I just bought a set of Philips "Xtra" bulbs which claimed/appear to be 20% brighter than stock and I've been happy with those thus far.

I saw some guy with these purplish headlights on the NYS Thruway yesterday...but he might as well had his lights turned off they were so dim:lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I drive car with factory installed HID lights (8K), and in my opinion in comparison, my wife's tribeca OEM bulbs are really decent lights.
Frankly, I would never install bulbs like this. I am always annoyed by people pretending that they drive more expensive car, by installing cheap imitations. These bulbs give you less light and annoy other people on the road by emitting a lot of scattered light and not having height cut off. All you achieve is just looking cheap (believe me if you know and drive a car with true HID, these bulbs definitely DO NOT look like HID from outside). Good for civic but do not disgrace 35K car (BTW, for this price Subaru tribeca should have HID standard). If you'd like to have brighter lights invest in a true HID system.

Marek

·
Registered
53 Posts
marek said:
I drive car with factory installed HID lights (8K), and in my opinion in comparison, my wife's tribeca OEM bulbs are really decent lights.
Frankly, I would never install bulbs like this. I am always annoyed by people pretending that they drive more expensive car, by installing cheap imitations. These bulbs give you less light and annoy other people on the road by emitting a lot of scattered light and not having height cut off. All you achieve is just looking cheap (believe me if you know and drive a car with true HID, these bulbs definitely DO NOT look like HID from outside). Good for civic but do not disgrace 35K car (BTW, for this price Subaru tribeca should have HID standard). If you'd like to have brighter lights invest in a true HID system.

Marek
Hey Marek,

I tend to agree with your comments. Nothing beats the real thing. As for the Tribeca coming with HID's is does in Canada, only problem I bought mine in the States and imported it so no HID's for me (I don't really care though) but I like the $7K in my pocket on the difference in vehicle price :).

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
marek said:

Marek
I agree that the bulb can no way be compared to true HID's, but the halogen cut off is stock. So there is no glare to worry about. I had a Civic and threw in an HID kit and there was so much glare I took it out. Tons of hot and cold spots. That was due to a halogen reflector housing trying to focus an HID bulb.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would love to have true HID in this car, except, as you mentioned, the cost is prohibitive. I am surprised that Subaru, aiming to compete with Lexus, did not include few important attributes of higher end cars (i.e. xenon lights, 6 sp tranny etc). It is an excellent family car nevertheless, and AWD system is unbeatable!

M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts