Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I was hoping you folks could provide some advice, background, what to watch out for about the Tribeca. I've got a '99 Passat V6 and it's time to move on. Anything you can help me out with I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking for the knowledge owners have gained over time: what can go wrong, things to look out for...that sort of thing. I'm on a Passat board and I've gotten invaluable info from those folks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
4wordSOUL said:
I'm looking for the knowledge owners have gained over time: what can go wrong, things to look out for...that sort of thing. I'm on a Passat board and I've gotten invaluable info from those folks.
Which year beca are you considering? It seems there are different things to look out for depending on whether you are looking at an older model compared to a newer one. The body change was a big one for the 08. DRL also moved to high beam location for 08 incase you're looking to put aftermarket HID's on them. I don't think there were any major changes in the interior between each model. If you go thru the forum you'll find a bunch of stuff posted with issues with the different model's everyone has. Also a bunch of good DIY's that Peaty post on here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking at an 07 as the first year of any new model usually has a bunch of issues that get ironed out by the second...

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can tell you not much changed between '06 and '07. The '06 did not have a backup camera option and no retrofit. You can install one easily if you get one with NAV. The '08 and up has a larger engine and does not require Premium fuel, but EPA figures rate it with lower numbers so it is almost a wash. '06-'07 have front sway bar link/mounts that start rattling as early as 10K. Shifting concerns appear to be common but a lot of that appears to be understanding the shift strategy. If you opt for 7 passenger you have limited legroom unless you compromise with the 1st and 2nd row. I have found you CAN fit 7 adults in as long as they are not 6 foot+ tall or 300 pounds.
I assume you like the body style of the '06-'07 models better? My wife and I certainly do. The newer model seems plain. If you have kids the rear DVD system is a great feature. Any specific questions please ask.:)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have had my 08 for 7 months and 6K miles.

My notes on ownership so far:

The Tire Pressure System took about a month to settle down after I developed a slow leak. I took the car to the dealer and they pulled a screw out of the tire and plugged the tire for free. The light still flashed at random times over the next few weeks but now seems normal.

The car does not have the distinctive snout of the 06/07 models and thus is harder to pick out in a crowd so I can give the secret Subaru wave when I see one.

The car is too comfortable and I burned lots of $4.25 a gallon gas last June driving for a week and a half down to the SW and back.

If the 06/07 EPA mileage values were revised to the 08 standards those model years would actually post lower numbers. They refined the transmission and engine to be a little more efficient. I have no problem pegging 21 mpg in highway driving with some city driving mixed in. On my road trips I have even hit 24 mpg on several fill ups (calculated via trip meter over gallons pumped; not using the trip computer). I have not reset the B trip meter since shortly after I bought the car and the computer is telling me I have averaged 22 mpg for the 6K miles.

·
Registered
552 Posts
07 owner here...had ours since Dec. 30, 2007. Got ours off demo with 8400 on the ODO:)

Anyway. As the others have said, changes from 06-07 include back-up cam with navi, AUX input jack in the center console (a must for me), black grill inserts (vs. chrome edged), revised rear suspension tuning, standard roll sensors, brake assist, pre-wired for XM, 2-position driver's memory seat (on LTD), optional reverse sensors (beepers), optional remote starter, optional shade-type cargo cover.

From 07 to 08, the big changes include the revised body and engine/tranny, and on 7 pass models the rear seat slides when tilted for better access to the rear. The 06/07 slide too...but you have to do it manually (2 different levers), the 08 does it in one motion.

We've had pretty much zero issues with ours thus far (knock on wood)...approaching 17k total miles. As far as mileage is concerned, I've only fed her 87 octane and we average pretty much spot on 20 mpg 50/50 city/highway. Driving home very slowly in the rain from CT to NJ we've managed 24 mpg going 55-60 the whole way.

Since your looking at used models, look for one with puddle lights if you have the chance. That's hands down the best dealer option...and gets the most compliments/questions:) Also Subaru's all-weather floor mats are rediculously cheap (compared to other OEM mats) and a must buy IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts