Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I may be replacing brakes on our 2010 Tribeca. Is it necessary to do all 4 at the same time (assuming the fronts or backs are not all worn)? I know it is critical of the tires to replace all 4 is even 1 is bad, wasn't sure if that applied to the brakes.

Also - are there any recommended brake pad brands for the Tribeca? Hoping to be able to pick some up from Autozone or O'Reilly this evening.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
No need to replace all 4 corners. You do want to replace all front or all rear.

I personally get the Subaru brand ones. They last a long time, and come with everything in the box. And they aren't a lot more.

I haven't had great results with autozone or others (thermoquiet - not so much).

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with tdelker,
generally brakes are done per axle, meaning fronts or rear whichever is worn out.
If you are happy with OEM performance then stick with them, from what i've seen over 13 years fixing subarus autopart store brakes are not same quality,even their top tier parts.

If you want more stopping power or less fade or some other aspect improved, then yes there are aftermarket companies that produce good products most of them would be more expensive then OEM.
I personally went with aftermarket as I wanted to get zinc coated rotors, here in northeast rust starts to build up especially in the cooling veins of the rotors thus reducing heat exchange rates, and somewhat creating uneven cooling heating in the rotor, that will eventually lead to grooves on the surface.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I used advance auto silver series brakes on our tribeca, the dealer wanted nearly $300 for the OEM pads, no thanks. I have also previously used Hawk HPS pads which were pretty decent as well, a whole lot of bite and not much fade for daily driving. Nothing wrong with oem as long as you aren't paying what my dealer wanted.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
I got mine on amazon (subaru kit) and I don't regret it. No squeaks and I'm at 4000 miles. Thee little black clips are strange to put on but just take your time , look at the instruction, piece together dry and then lube. They were only slightly more than other brands and getting everything in a kit is great. Including brake grease.
I also change the rotors, which I got on ebay as well. Stock subaru again.
Saving money on the install is where the savings lie. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts