Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any recommendations for brand of struts to replace OEM?
2006 B9 with 117k miles and at least one bad strut.
All I see is KYB struts, GR2/Excel-G
Thanks!
Clark

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. The only thing I can find is the same GR2.

Did Subaru redesign the strut after the '07 MY? I had an '09 loaner a while back and it had much less dive and a firmer but more comfortable ride.

Another thought, I wonder if any of the inserts made for the Legacy will work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there is a change in 2007 for the 2008 year. The parts supplier even had a question about build dates around 2006. Mine is August 2005.
The KYB shocks may be the OEM supplier but not sure.
Check this source:
http://justsuspension.com/subaru-b9-tribeca-kyb-gr2-kit1601.html
I ordered the set of all 4 and will probably get the top mount too from local sources. They don't sell a Loaded strut, complete with spring, probably because the demand isn't there. My B9 has 118,000 miles and needs shocks for sure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
milo066 said:
I just removed the right front strut from my 2006 B9 and is is marked both Subaru and KYB, indicating that KYB is OEM. I'll post the numbers later.
Can you shoot me some detailed photos of it while it's out?
I know a guy that is a bit of a suspension guru and he was asking.

Thank you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
milo066 said:
I just removed the right front strut from my 2006 B9 and is is marked both Subaru and KYB, indicating that KYB is OEM. I'll post the numbers later.
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/cwnicholls/FrontStruts2006SubaruB9TribecaAugust2005Build?authkey=Gv1sRgCL2m_K7r8t25ygE&feat=directlink
Well, the new struts are in. Swapping the spring over is a PITA job, best done by 2 people with the tools needed. The typical threaded rod spring compressors worked fine but I'll say that if a "loaded" strut was available with new spring, etc ready for installation I would have bought it. That's what I've got for my mother's Buick job.

The old struts seemed fine upon removal and my problems may be the lower a-arm rear bushings. These must be the troublesome bushings of fame. I have new ones on order but was seriously considering new a-arms ready to install.

Rear struts also await my attention. Another spring swap. Can't wait.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
sweetpete said:
General question: how does one know it's time to replace the struts?
My decision was based on diagonal diving when going over rough road surfaces here in Massachusetts. I bought the 2006 car with 117,000 miles in January and I found the suspension not to my liking, actually I didn't want to drive it. My mechanic friend drove it and agreed the shocks were bad, particularly the rear. I noticed wheel hop in the front and a wheel bounce on bumps. The front struts are now changed and it looks like I need lower rear a-arm bushings also. A short drive just now showed a major improvement in ride even though I have not noticed a problem with the struts I removed. They are gas charged and perhaps that masks other issues. The rear struts are next, probably over this weekend or next week. I did not replace the top strut mount, it seems fine.
NOTE:
The KYB struts I installed in front had a different top nut/thread than the OEM, so make sure your replacements have the nut included! One had a flange nut, the other not with the flange.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts