Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. Please forgive me if I should have found my issue elsewhere - but I did search and read with no luck.

My daughters 2007 B9 with >200k miles on it developed a head gasket leak just 3 months after I purchased it "AS IS" from a private party. I looked at the work involved in replacing the head gaskets and decided it would save a step to just put a new lump under the hood.

I purchased a used engine from JDM. Advertised as 55k to 65k miles. Got it all put back together - as far as I can tell - it started, smoked heavily, ran for about 20 minutes then quit. No sound of lock-up or anything, it just shut off.

I figured the smoking was most likely from sitting and shipping, and installation.

When I tried to connect my scanner to the ECU it will not connect.
Prior to the engine swap, the scanner worked fine with this ECU.
When I turn the ignition to START the scanner goes dark
When I turn the ignition to RUN, the scanner attempts to connect but fails
W/O the scanner (or with) the engine will not crank.
The ODO shows ER 55 (or SS) and ER HC

Did I miss something when I put the new motor in? They are both EZ30R engines.

I had to change the intake manifold and replace a couple of sensors that broke during shipping, but other than that it was a simple change.

I have yet to disco the battery to reset thew ECU. That might work short term, but what is the root cause?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I would get on subaruoutback.org

A lot better information over there. They have the same H6 engine in some of the outbacks.

ErHC is "High speed CAN communication failure". The high speed CAN is essential to the operation of the engine and transmission.

You have a wiring problem or a grounding problem it sounds like?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solved

With the help of the outback forum gurus, the problem is solved.

The result was the harness ground above the access port and CPS.

I used that bolt to lift the engine into the bay. When I had finished, I ran the bolt back in with the ground wire replaced. It was finger tight.

Starting the engine went fine, but after a couple of minutes of idling the bolt backed out enough to lose a good ground connection.

There are at least 3 grounds that go to the 54-pin connector - and subsequently the ECM - which are grounded at this spot.

Tightening the ground bolt resolved all my issues. Every last one.

ALWAYS check your grounds - twice...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts