Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm currently trying to replace the radiator on my 2006 B9 Tribeca and so I'm trying to get the old one out. I'm at the step where I need to remove the front bumper in order to get to the bolts that hold the AC condensor to the radiator.

So I was following the service manual but was confused about how to actually get it off. I removed the 7 or so clips on the bottom of the bumper underneath, the 3 on top, the upper cover, and the 2 in the wheel wells. I also disconnected the foglamps. The step after that mentions something about a notch in the bumper face and I don't understand what the picture is showing exactly. I read somewhere else I should just be able to pull it starting at a corner but it seems like it's still attached to something. Wish I could understand the service manual picture, help on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's hard to explain if you haven't seen it before, but once the bumper is out, it will be quite obvious.

The bumper face attaches to the chassis at the bottom by the clips (that you've already removed) and at the top by two rows of tabs that "click" into brackets on each side that are roughly mounted to the chassis underneath the headlamp assemblies.

This is what I did: with all of the clips, crossbars, etc. removed, starting on the driver's (LH) side, I grabbed the side of the bumper face (the wheel well side) with my right hand, and placed my hand on the face of the bumper just below the headlamps. Using my right hand, I applied a gentle upward and outward force to the bumper face, ever-so-lightly twisting the bumper face as though I'm trying to lift those tabs up and off the bracket. Using my left hand as a counter-force to prevent the bumper from "tearing away" from the chassis once the tabs release from the brackets, I started applying additional force - little by little - until the bumper face releases. Once the bumper releases support the LH side of the bumper (i.e. have someone hold it up so it's not sagging to the ground) and repeat on the other side.

It's hard to get the feel for it the first time when you have no idea what you're trying to detach, but once you have a feel for the correct pressure/motion and see the LH side bumper after it's removed, the RH side will be exponentially easier.

EDIT: Two more things:

1. Not all of the tabs may release at the same time... if some release but some do not, just keep applying a little more force and twisting action to get the rest of them to release.

2. And take your time!!! You don't want to be too careless here, otherwise, break the tabs or crack the plastic and you'll be buying a new $250-300 unpainted bumper.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot I got it off! Yeah it helped once the drivers side was off it was easy to pry it off with the leverage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your explanation here. I have to replace the LF quarter panel and the bumper has to come off. I couldn't find anything in the Subaru shop guides or on youtube showing how to do this. Sounds pretty easy and a matter of touch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts