Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there Folks i just ordered the 2 rear struts KYB Excel G OE replacement that are supposed to be the same brand and specs as OEM but not as expensive. there is any other thing i should look for besides the stabilizer bar bushings and links /strut mounts ? i want to make the rear Suspension as Solid as possible .it is not bouncing right now but is giving me a kind of choppy ride ,the front feels just fine if you now what i mean "not a BMW but like a new Becca" i know the B9 is kind of choppy in the rear. but if my memory is serving me well i remember being better than it is know ...Any ideas are welcome ...Gerry:)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
If you are over 100k you probably would benefit from replacing the fronts as well. Subarus aren't known for their long-lasting shocks. I can't think of anything else other than good alignment (do it after the shocks have settled a few hundred miles) and make sure they put slight toe in on both front wheels to get 'self-centering'. The notes I have are Front Camber = -0.04 to -0.7, Front Toe +0.06 to +0.08, Rear toe +0.06 to +0.08.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you know of any bushings or stuff that i should replace while i am at it?

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
It's worth looking at anything that's cracked or has gaps in it, but I wouldn't suspect that you'll have any problems with keeping alignment.

If you do the fronts, I'd do the control arm bushings, too.

FWIW, the KYB struts for the Forester are "OEM spec" and they're not nearly as nice as OEM struts in terms of ride quality. I think you probably get what you pay for with OE in this case.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the ride is bouncy then new shock absorbers would be first consideration. If you feel that there's too much roll on cornering then a heavier stabiliser bar with polyurethane bushes and solid stabiliser links will definitely help. Not sure if there is such an upgrade suitable for the Tribeca since I carried out these modifications on my WRX.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
I've been sifting for a RSB upgrade myself, and it looks like someone was making some one-offs (not sure if it ever worked out) but otherwise the Tribeca stands alone - no OEM upgrades available.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (I'd love to be!).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks Folks for you inputs... basically i am trying to get a more controlled ride. the rear of the car is not moving up and down like a boat. but is not as tight, controlled and firm as it used to be ,keep in mind that the Beca B9 is a firmer ride compared to the 08 and up when they changed the suspension slightly ,i ordered the KYB Excel G shocks /strut mounts/the strut bolts/the upper rubber spring seats and self tightening nut and washer..anything else that i should change that comes to mind ? ,the compressing and replacing of springs is an area of mechanics that i don't really feel comfortable doing .so i will leave it to my trusted Mechanic this one time :tup: ...Gerry

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
"the compressing and replacing of springs is an area of mechanics that i don't really feel comfortable doing"

Honestly, it's really not a big deal. The spring compressors you can borrow from advance auto parts of other store. They like to scare you with the 'stored energy' and yes you need to be aware, but it's not like it's going to explode if you do something slightly wrong.

Tom

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Td with your opinion I am feeling tempted to do it now and save some $$$$$ :naughty:

·
Registered
547 Posts
one advice if you are going to do any kind of suspension work get an impact gun, the 50 dollar autozone/harbor freight etc will do just fine.
They save you an hour at least on compressing springs alone.

Like tdelker said there are not much you can screw up by changing springs yourself, i am most likely will be doing it this saturday, I even removed springs without compressing them and yes parts fly when it comes loose but if you plan ahead you won't get hurt. this is not recommended for parts that meant to be reused.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
HA! Just run the top nut off and watch the explosion :)

I would not suggest that.

I do it all with hand tools, but that's just me. I don't mind working a little harder. I don't think it takes me an extra hour, but maybe it does...

I have a few suggestions over in this post: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/16231-front-strut-replacement-2000-outback-4.html#post430439
, some of which don't apply likely, like positioning the compressors. I suspect the tribeca has more coils than the outback, but I haven't actually confirmed this.

But things like loosening the center nut on the shock before lifting the car are really useful.

Dodik, think you can write up what you get done this weekend? Could be helpful.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i'll definetely document everything not sure if i will have time for the pics, bought a set of front loaded struts off 05 outback turbo 5eat, so hoping to use as a whole or maybe just the springs for the front drop. but at least i will compare the strut spring differences for the folks who want to go lower.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i was thinking about buying the impact gun since i see almost everyone using to drive the compressor screw in the DIY videos ,i though they were more expensive ,with the $$ that i will save doing this Myself i can finance the impact gun and keep it yeahhh!!!:D ,unfortunately the struts are not going to be in until next week ,same with the strut mounts and bolts ,so most likely next weekend:naughty:,any particular brand suggestion for a budget impact gun ? ...Thanks

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Harbor Freight is going to be the absolute best value for a weekend mechanic. They have pretty well reviewed items. I find they are very true reviews.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just checked the impact gun at Harbor Freight .i am getting one tomorrow. Ok i am sold out!!!! I have another weekend project .i just hope i dont have to visit the dentist right after Lol!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
generally good impacts are expensive well the whole air setup is, when you buy an electric impact you have to sacrifice a bit, 1. they are heavy and bulky and you don't always have room to use them. 2. they are not as strong as pneumatic system.
But for a weekend mechanic they are great, if you have a bit more cash i would go for cordless one, but they are generally a triple in price of an electric.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have this, http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-ARI2023-Li-ion-18-volt-2-Inch/dp/B004VYTXQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411141836&sr=8-1&keywords=acdelco+ari2023
Tackled shock and strut replacement on my minivan just fine. This is made by a reputable contract manufacturer in Taiwan and has excellent reviews. It is believed to be on par with Ingersoll-Rand, and possibly with Snap-On.
With the right coupons (which can be found online), $300 will get you a decent 8 gallon compressorhttp://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2-HP-125-PSI-Oil-Lube-Air-Compressor-68740.html?ccdenc=eyJjb2RlIjoiMjU2MzY3MTUiLCJza3UiOiI2ODc0MCIsImlzIjoiMTA0Ljk5IiwicHJvZHVjdF9p%0D%0AZCI6Ijg5MDAifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A, a high-torque impact wrench, and a starter kit of hose and QDs at Harbor Freight and still leave you with enough for a $100 hooker.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i have HF 17gal compressor and its barely enough cfm's for continuous use, my tiny grinder empties that tank very quickly.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts