Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, love my MY2010 'Beca. It's proved great in the snow, very quiet, and the build quality and interior materials are far superior to my wife's MY2009 Honda Accord.

As the temps have dropped it developed a rattle over significant bumps (not hard to find in NE Ohio). I isolated it to the rear hatch by putting two small towels in the bottom of the hatch opening (sandwiched between the weatherstriping and the door) and closing. This cured the problem. To actually fix the problem, I removed the bottom rear trim and adjusted the striker plate (two bolts) as far forward as possible. Problem solved! Hope this helps anybody with similar concerns!:)

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Thread from the dead!

I did this as well and it fixed the hatch rattle for me as well. Also the hatch latches a lot easier now.

·
Banned
385 Posts
Which is the strike plate? The one on the bottom attached to the rear bumper or the one that is actually on the door itself. ? How was this taken off?

·
Banned
385 Posts
I successfully did this two days ago and the noise has all but gone away. I would say 95% better. You have to expect some creaks and groans on a 10 yr plus vehicle.
Here are some visuals to help anyone.
Tools needed were a phillips screwdriver to remove two small plastic screws on both sides. Mine were fragile and lets just say ill have to order new ones. Cheap enough Im sure.

Then gently pull up one side at a time (Doesnt matter which side you work from) working your way down the strip
Here are the clips

and a better shot

After I pulled up the plastic my OCD kicked in and I started removing gunk,stains, grass, sand, etc from the area. Yes it was that dirty!! I know Ill never see the gunk again (Hopefully) when I cover back up but Ill know it is there and will eventually go back and remove the cover again just to clean it.

I use meguires all purpose diluted 10:1 or 4:1 if that dont work, plastic scraper and a vacuum.
Btw I do detailing on the side so it helped I had the right tools for the job.
Next I took a 12mm ratchet and took off the strike plate here. Mind you these bolts were not difficult to remove.
Here is a quick peek:

After removing the bolts a little bit I noticed there was a considerable amount I could push towards the front of the vehicle and then ratchet the bolts down. However I opted to remove them, clean up the area and the bolts and then add some lock tite to them. I used blue but im sure you can put whatever color you have on hand. Sorry no pics of this. But I just put some on about an 1/8 of an inch and not too much(I was running out at the time)
After the cleanup, I lined up the plate with the holes, installed the bolts and pushed towards the front of the vehicle and then tightened the bolts as tight as I think they were on but then gave a few more umps to make sure they are snug enough they wont try and back out anytime soon. I drove around the block and had a aha moment. It was damn peaceful in the cabin. I then just snapped in the plastic and its been quiet ever since :p Happy wife, Happy Life!! I hope this helps anyone that has this issue. It really works.

Few more misc pics

And

and
This is what the screw looks like. I had to pry it off since I knew it was cheap and it was really unnecessary to eliminate the rattle. I will replace them don the road.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
same here

I bought my 2006 SB9T in Nov... with a very rattling and noisy rear gate. I took the bottom mechanism apart, adjusted and used permanent Loctite to hold. Top was tightened down, too.

·
Banned
385 Posts
I bought my 2006 SB9T in Nov... with a very rattling and noisy rear gate. I took the bottom mechanism apart, adjusted and used permanent Loctite to hold. Top was tightened down, too.
Well this year my rattle came back. I think i need to put the loctite in as well. I will try this, thank you for the advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.