Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed our new (to us) 06 Beca was flashing this light (only noticeable at night when I hit bumps).

Long story short you can fix this yourself and save a trip to the dealer. Climb under the rear of the car, you'll see the rear diff with the axles going to it. On the passenger side are two plugs, its easiest to work by unplugging both, but you'r only fixing the black plug that has a single "spade" connector on a bolt on the diff its self (you'll see when you get down there).

If like mine, you'll find that both the black connector and the spade connector are corroded/nasty. I used my dremel with the wire wheel to clean up the ground connector "spade" attached to the diff, and then used break cleaner and a pick to get all the goo off the black plug, and then used a metal pick to clean up the inside of the connector.

After all that I used one of those 29cent packs of silicone dilectric spark plug grease (at any auto counter). Make sure whatever you use is de-lectric (or however you spell it) basically it means it conducts. THe black connector is just a ground signal, but when it gets corroded it gives false readings back to the dash light. After cleaning things up and packing it with the silcone good I had the wife watch the light in the dark garage while I tugged on the wires, no more light!

Hope this helps someone!

C

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you!:tup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Terrific post.

FWIW, dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity, but it does protect the connectors from moisure and corrosion. So, you were certainly correct to use it for this application.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Thanks! Just did this. The spade connector still feels loose, so I might have to replace it at some point. We'll see how long this sticks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here in 2021 with 13yrs and 160k miles, I did this repair and the ground connector feel off the wire. Not to worry! I had a Spade connector in my electrical bag, I crimped that on the end of the wire, cleaned the spade connector on the differential side, added a bit of di-electric grease, and reattached the ground connection. Operational Test Satisfactory! Light has stayed off, love seeing the dashboard with one less light!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was glad to find this thread. My light started randomly flashing last night.

I pulled the ground connector, shined up the visible side of the spade with an emery board, sprayed out the connector with some MAF sensor cleaner I had on hand, threw some di-electric grease in there, and plugged it back in. We'll see how long it lasts....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts