Subaru B9 Trifecta SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been asked by a few people about my rack and pod. Here are photos and information.

Yakima Q towers (9yrs old)
from an '01 Escape

56" or 58" cross bars.

The towers are modified (drilled an extra hole in each) so that they would screw into the factory holes for the factory rack. I used one Thule and one Subaru screw/bolt for each tower. Holds it pretty tight.

The Pod it a Thule (Mountaineer I think)
We bought it in 2003 for our Outback that we had.

The Pod has multiple holes in it, it has been mounted on at least 5 different vehicles.
It is mounted in a way that the rear hatch CAN be opened with no problem. There is over hang over the windshield, with no problem.

This is the first year of using the pod with the Yakima rack. I stumbled on to this by accident. I put the Thule screw into the Subaru rack mounts and it fit. We had been using the factory cross bars and it worked just fine. The only problem was mounting the Pod. I have small hands and it was still very difficult to get my hands under the pod to attach it. The new style pods that have the sliding attach points may work better.

We use this set up mostly for ski equipment. I am sure that we have probably had more than the 100lbs that the roof, rack and pod are rated for.

Hope this helps, questions ask.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks evl, really helps a lot.

For others' benefit, here's my story:

Recently bought a 2009 Tribeca SE which has no rails. I am a windsurfer and for 20 years I have stacked my boards on one side and put my sails etc. in a box on the other. I hate liftgate interference, especially on such a beautiful car, and I have a 7 foot garage entrance that I have to use.

At the moment I have a Yakima rack mounted with Control Towers and LP11 landing Pads. These landing pads are much bigger than what you will see if you look on the Yakima site. They make the rack stick up over 5" above the roof line and make a terrible noise. This is my 4th car with a Yakima rack and I've never heard anything like this. (At the moment the bars are naked though and the Yakima CS guy says putting things up there helps, as will a fairing which I do not have.) I'm a looking at changing the rack in some way, but don't have resolution yet. I will update when I do. I will first look at the LP1 and LP2 mounts to see if they can be modified to work on the Tribeca.

Regarding boxes, Yakima doesn't really make a box that will work. I think the Thule Atlantis 1200 is too tall with the rack as it is. The Ascent 1100 may work, and I'm surprised that the Frontier works given Thule's measurements, but obviously it does. I'm going to look at the Low Down Cruiser by Inno later this week. On paper it should work fine. We'll see.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know my Pod may be the Frontier! Frontier Mountaineer what ever.......
Take a few pics, I'd like to see the set up you have. Also the factory cross bar set up works fine. I used it for 3 years before changing to this set up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
*grumbles* I wish mine had come with the factory crossbars. Now I'm kicking myself for not building them into the deal. Good looking setup you have there - we're going to end up with a roof-mounted storage solution (two adults plus kiddo plus 70-pound chocolate lab), and yours looked good enough for me to click over to Yakima's website and build a couple setups.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a wind fairing for my Yakima rack yesterday. I'm going to put it on and test it today. Honestly, the noise at 70 makes you shout at each other.

On another note, I looked at the Landing Pad 1 set while I was buying the fairing and it sits at least an inch lower. I'm thinking of having an adapter plate fabricated so that I can use the LP1 instead of the LP11.

I'll snap some pics and get them up, but it might not be until tomorrow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I added factory roof rails this Dec before Christmas. I called Jamie up and she found me the right parts that fit the Tribeca. Much more low profile and stream lined than the after market ones. And they weren't too expensive.

I have a Yakima box. 16cu ft. Worked great coming back from Grandmas house after Santa doubled up on the gifts for my daughter. Needed every inch of space. Its about as big as I would go on our cars. But it rides much more quiet than I expected. Almost no difference in cabin noise all the way up to 80mph.

Oh yeah, I love the Beaver Liquors sticker EVL. Used to live 2blks from there a long long time ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bit of an update, and I promise to get pictures up this weekend...

I mounted the 50" wind fairing and it was a night an day difference. On many roads the tire noise was louder than the wind noise, even at 65 mph. Thumbs up for the fairing if you have wind noise.

I verified that an Inno Low Down Cruiser will work for my purposes, but I am going to test an Inno Stream box first as it fits the roof line better and my purposes better. I don't need more than 68" of interior length for my sails, but the LDC will work fine too.

The Thule Ascent 1100 will NOT work with my Yakima setup. (Verified by on car test.) The liftgate hits the box. I believe the Atlantis 1200 would, but it wouldn't fit into my garage.

The Yakima LP1 mount will actually fit nicely in the groove on the Tribeca's roof, but needs an adaptor to mate the LP1 to the roof mounts. I may look into this as it will reduce the overall height by at least an inch, but fabrication costs could be prohibitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts